New Axolotl Owner near Toronto

Alicialotl

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there,

I’m Alicia and I’m getting ready to own my first axolotl. I am currently cycling a 20 gallon tank (I started yesterday). I have a liquid test kit for this. I have planted some anubias and java fern and I’m adding fish food to the tank for the source of ammonia.

I got my tank from someone of kijiji, and it came with an aqueon quietflow internal power filter 15. Will this be enough to filter a 20 gallon tank? Also, I can point the flow in any direction. Is there a good place to have it for good circulation, that won’t stress my axolotl out?

There is a small axolotl at my pet store right now. Barely more than 2 inches long. She is moving around happily enough but she has the smallest feathery growths on her gills that I have ever seen. Essentially none at all. I have to finish cycling the tank before I can take her home and I will be in New York for a few days into the beginning of August (I doubt the cycling will be done by that point anyway?) so I am not sure if I’ll be able to buy her before someone else does. The pet store won’t keep her there for me, even if I pay. Crossing my fingers that she’s still there so I can give her a healthy home where she can grow beautiful gills!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back