Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

More captive plethodontid breedings

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
It has been a pretty successful year with plethodontids at the Toledo Zoo where I amazingly get paid to take care of salamanders. We had 3 clutches of Hemidactylium eggs with 60+ metamorphs produced. A clutch of Desmognathus welteri eggs are around 2/3 of their way through development. And the best IMO is the 2 clutches of Plethodon glutinosus eggs that were laid in the past week on exhibit. Both mothers are attending and the eggs are developing nicely in full view of the public. If the egg counts drop I will probably remove some to raise on perlite via the Russ Cormack (tm) method.

Here's a few photos for you to enjoy.
-Tim

Attachments

• hemi metamorphs.jpg
    hemi metamorphs.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 740
  • welteri eggs.JPG
    welteri eggs.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 678
  • 2 glut nests.jpg
    2 glut nests.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 689
  • glut w eggs 2009.jpg
    glut w eggs 2009.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,332

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Tim, you continue to impress :). I'm amazed by the Plethodon glutinosus - are they in full light or is it dark in there normally?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just amazing, Tim! I love the glutinosus display, and so do they by the looks of it. Thanks for sharing your successes with us all.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
There is a normal day/night cycle with fairly bright lights (several 50W halogens and some 55W compact fluorescents) in the plethodontid seep exhibit. One layed under a substantial rock overhang that is well shaded, the other in a semi-exposed nook of the rockwork.

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Whats the best way to raise the Desmognathus welteri eggs? I found a clutch up in the mountains (mnt. Jimney or something in MA) They look 100% exactly like the picture. How do I care for them??? Do I leave the eggs on moist towels or submerged in water. I have them in a plastic tub with water under them.

Some of the larve are out of their eggs but arent moving and still have their yolk sacs. A couple are moving even tho they are out and some are moving in thier egg. The larve all have front and back limbs in their eggs.

Is it bad for them to be in the water right now while they are in thier egg?

Also they say that Desmognathus welteri are not found in MA at all but I have the eggs to prove it... THey look like your picture unless the picture is labled wrong. The larve are brownish with tiny spots in a line.
The reason I took them is because the mother was dead on the walk way. I think a mountain bike smooshed her. She was dead for several days. I saw a mouse check them out but I scarred it away and grabbed the eggs. I want to raise them. I have raised other salamanders but not this species.

Last edited:

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hi Monkeyfrogman,

If your eggs are from a Desmognathus species, which it sounds like they may be, it is almost certainly Desmognathus fuscus. Larval desmognathus look VERY similar between species.

Your best bet would be to find a small plastic container which seals well and put some perlite in the bottom dampened with pure distilled water. You do not want to put the eggs in water, or to allow the water to actually get the eggs soaking wet, just wet enough to keep the substrate damp and keep humidity high. If the eggs are sitting in water they may absorb too much and swell up, causing premature hatching.

Put the lid on the container and poke a small hole ~2mm in the lid. The eggs do not need much air and there is more of a risk of desiccation than suffocation if you allow too much air flow. Keep the container in a cool place, ~60-70F and check the eggs every few days. If the eggs do make it completely through development they can be raised like most other small larval salamanders...for which there is plenty of info on this website. The eggs can be difficult to hatch without the mother present, as they receive protection from harmful bacterial and fungal infections via contact with the female's skin.

Also, you may want to check on the legal status of keeping native amphibians in Massachusetts, as I am unfamiliar with your state's regulations.

Good luck!
Tim

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Thank you T.

One larve is already out swimming about. I took damp paper towels, stacked a large layer up and dampen them and under the towels there the water is so the larve will fall into it. I added some java moss in the water area as of now.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Update...More captive plethodontid breedings

9 eggs successfully hatched on exhibit last week for all to see. Now they've been removed to avoid predation by other species in the enclosure. We still have 6 eggs developing off exhibit as well.

-Tim

Attachments

• glut-hatching.jpg
    glut-hatching.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 836

jaster

Reaction score
Re: Update...More captive plethodontid breedings

Tim, you are living my dream. We just sent some Desmognathus quadramaculatus out to Kansas with hopes of them starting a breeding program. Cool stuff! Good luck with the eggs!

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Mississippi River Museum has gotten eggs from quadramaculatus the past two years, but they keep going bad. Not sure if they've tried them on perlite/itraconazole though.

I guess I never updated the welteri, they hatched too and we have 10 good larvae eating and growing.

Attachments

• welteri hatching-sm.JPG
    welteri hatching-sm.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 646

jaster

Reaction score
Mississippi River Museum has gotten eggs from quadramaculatus the past two years, but they keep going bad. Not sure if they've tried them on perlite/itraconazole though.

Interesting. I don't know why they chose D. quadramaculatus though, they take a lot longer to develop and mature... Their size is impressive though.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
D. marmoratus has always interested me due to the completely aquatic habits. Kind of like keeping mini hellbenders.

Russ, I just set up all our Bolitoglossa in breeding groups today finally (had to build big shelving for all the potential salamanders the room will eventually hold) and they certainly seemed interested in each other. Keep your fingers crossed...

robertlhill

Reaction score
Congrats Tim! You guys are kicking butt up there with the sallies. Keep it up dude!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1