Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Toronto?

N

nataly

Hi. I'm trying to find newts in Toronto. I'm looking for terrestrial newts, preferably. I wanted to get newly metamorphosed Notophthalmus viridescens or Taricha Torosa, but apparently dealers in Toronto haven't seen either in years. The only newts available to me are CFB, but I've already raised some and was thinking of trying a different species. Does anyone know where I can find any terrestrial newts near me? Thank You!
Nataly

R

rob

Hi Nataly,

I'm in Canada as well (Windsor, ON) and I found similar things. I have met some sources now. I may be able to help you out.

Just so you know the red spotted newts go through a terrestrial eft page but then go back to being aquatic adults. Terrestrial salamanders would be easier to come by. Feel free to email me directly if you want someone to talk that's near by.

N

nataly

Hiya Rob! Nice to meet fellow Canadians! I would really appreciate your help, pet stores are completely useless!!! And I was actually hoping for a red eft. I'm really interested in raising a red spotted newt from terrestrial adult to a aquatic/semi-aquatic adult. If you could help that would be great!

T

tara

Nataly
I have received my adult Taricha granulosa from Rob. These bred last spring and I now have 7 lovely newly metamorphosed jeuveniles (the last of which metamorphosed last week). These should be jeuvies for a good long time.
I have been looking (in theory) for an experienced keeper to take some. In reality I would like to watch a few of them grow up...so I have not been that eager to part with them yet. If you are interested I would be willing to supply a few. There is a slight problem, and that is distance. I am in Halifax so there would be shipping fees, but the adventure that the parents had from Ontario to Halifax had no ill effect on them so the trip itself is not that bad.

I was also hoping to have red efts someday...but for now all I have is a single adult female N.v.v. I am thinking of getting her some friends this autumn and hopefully this will make her happier. I have assigned her a melancholy and bitter personality...but really she is newt, so how would i know how she is feeling?

Rob
Do you need wingless fruit flies for your company? I have gotten some (Ha HA...evil fly scientist laugh)and am also willing to supply
Tara

R

rob

Hi Tara,

I have vestigal but no wingless ones. Give me an email and we can talk about it!

N

nataly

Hi Tara! Thanks for the offer. I would really appreciate 2 or 3 of your jeuvies. But WOW, Halifax? Do you know roughly how much it would cost me? I'm really interested in getting a new species but as usual, no matter how hard I work, I'm still pretty close to broke
nono.gif
! But anyways, in case you need my postal code to figure out the shipping its L3T-5G4. Please send me a message soon!

N

nataly

Oh by the way Tara do u have a picture of ur jeuvies, I would love to see them
angel.gif

T

tara

I do not have pictures of the metamorphosed jeuvies but I do have some pics at the larval stage that were taken about a month ago -i will post these tonight. I would have to borrow a digital camera to get more recent pics but I will see what I can do.
As for shipping I think it will cost just less than $30.00 for overnight delivery. This is based on the price (if I remember correctly) that it cost to get my Taricha granulosa to Halifax and also some quick estimates from the online canada post rate calculator.
T

N

nataly

Hi Tara, thanks for the quick reply, I'm getting my paycheck next week, Halellujah! so I'll e-mail you then!!!
Thanks a lot!
Nataly

N

nataly

Hey Tara, thanks for all your help, but I found a few closer to home! Thanks for EVERYTHING!!!!

Nataly

T

tara

No problem,
i will probably be able to find a home for them if I really try.
T

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1