Copper or wild?

notanaxoltl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
For the longest time I have a copper axoltl, and have now started to think what I previously thought was just a lightly coloured wild may actually be a copper, due to his red eyes I just noticed. Either way, I think he’s gorgeous. What do you think?.(I apologise for the use of flash, he was only exposed to it for a split second).

Attachments

• F57BB735-A400-464E-9885-EF9187AA33A4.jpeg
    F57BB735-A400-464E-9885-EF9187AA33A4.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 42D20F45-2069-42A9-B46F-7BFB1A41A807.jpeg
    42D20F45-2069-42A9-B46F-7BFB1A41A807.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 147
Where'd you get him? If you got him from a breeder, they probably would have charged you more even if he simply carried the gene for copper. He certainly looks iridescent and a nice tan color, but who knows. You said you have a different one that you know IS copper?

That is a REALLY tough call. I would expect if he was a copper he would have been sold as such, though his eyes wouldnt be that color if he was a wild type. The really dark gills and what appears to be black spots on the tail end make me think it cant be copper either; coppers dont have melanophores.

SO! Long story short, I expect someone bred a wild type with one that has albinism (Albino, gold, or copper) and this one is what the outcome was. They likely labled it "wild"...but I dont think it is actually ANY of the standards. You should consider breeding and seeing if it can be passed along. You might have actually discovered a new morph :)

And yes, he is beautiful no matter what :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back