Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is it harder to find newts than it was 10-15 years ago?

NewtOnionLaws

Reaction score
Hello, Caudata Community!

I am trying to return to raising newts after a long hiatus. 10-15 years ago, I could buy red efts (notophthalmus viridescens viridescens) at a local pet shop here in Arizona, which is how I started. I also managed to get both broken-striped newts (notophthalmus viridescens dorsalis) and peninsula newts (notophthalmus viridescens piaropicola) through people on this site. Now I’m having a really hard time finding newts, much less n.v. anything. I am hoping to get back into this hobby with n.v.v. red efts again. Some of the pet stores I called that actually knew what a red eft / Eastern newt is said they haven’t had any in stock for years. Is this some kind of lasting effect from that interstate transport ban that was apparently in effect a couple of years ago? Is it just bad luck?

Thanks!

Newt Onion Laws

Viking

Reaction score
If you are looking Eastern newts, they illiegal to own without a permit in many places. They are a native species here in Illinois and 20+ other states. In the past most were wild collected. They can be ordered online but you need to check local laws.

NewtOnionLaws

Reaction score
That’s surprising. Do you know of any resources where I can find species restrictions? For example, I couldn’t find anything about notophthalmus viridescens being restricted from ownership in its native-range states like Illinois. On the other hand, I can assure you I live well outside the range of any of the four subspecies of the Eastern newt.

Newt Onion Laws

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!