Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Colour and aggression

Creepella

Reaction score
I have two juvies in a big tank together. One is leucistic, the other golden albino. They are both about 6 inches long now. They haven't nipped or shown any aggression towards each other.

I would like to add another axie to the tank. I was thinking of getting a wild type this time. Then I read on the axolotl.org site that the wild types are more aggressive and tend to attack the colour mutants first.

I already have a separate 10 gal tank running and ready. I was planning to use it as a quarantine tank and to let a new axie grow bigger, if it's smaller than the other two.

So, would it be safe to add a wild type at six inches? Or should I pick a different colour instead?

auntiejude

Reaction score
There is no difference in aggression between the colours. Each axie has a personality, some get aggressive, some don't, but it has nothing to do with colour.

Size is the most important factor when keeping axies together, big axies will eat smaller ones.

Creepella

Reaction score
There is no difference in aggression between the colours. Each axie has a personality, some get aggressive, some don't, but it has nothing to do with colour.

Size is the most important factor when keeping axies together, big axies will eat smaller ones.

Thanks! It's good to know that I don't have to worry about getting a wild type after all. If the new one is smaller than the others, I'll keep it in a separate tank until they're closer in size.

Swag

Reaction score
Yes usually axolotl's will grow fast until they're about 6-7" then slow down so the smaller ones usually catch up to the older ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!