Illness/Sickness: Something wrong with Weenie's feet

jillifish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Something strange is going on with my axolotl Weenie's feet!! Yesterday he came out of his cave and I noticed he had a weird white covering on his back left toe and the foot/leg area was reddish and swollen. He's holding that leg up in the air, I assume because its hurting him. Later I noticed his other back foot now also has a small spot of the white stuff. In addition, most of his toes look super stubby and I can't figure out why, seeing as he has no tank mates who could have nipped them off. I've started giving him salt baths but just wanted to check in and see if anyone knows exactly what is wrong with him and if I'm treating it correctly. :(

Attachments

• IMG_6737.jpg
    IMG_6737.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 2,842
  • IMG_6738.jpg
    IMG_6738.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_6747.jpg
    IMG_6747.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 981
Well, he either injured it or has some kind of infection.

I don't have a specific answer for you but I would like to refer you to these helpful articles on Health,
Treating wounds, and other medical issues.
Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

Caudata Culture Articles

Also you can start here and explore:
Caudata Culture Home Page

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back