Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Testing for Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate

S

suzanne

Hi Everyone,

After reading several posts over several days I realize that I do probably not know enough about axolotl care....I am continually checking water temp and PH levels however, I was rather ignorant and didn't realize I should be checking for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well.

Can anyone please tell me how and what is the best method to test for this at home?? Is there some sort of kit you can buy that will do this?

(I really don't want my axie's gills to shrink and fluffy bits to fall off.....
sad.gif

C

cynthia

Suzanne - Here is a link to the fresh water version of the kit Jordan posted
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=

I am not sure if that same kit is available in Australia but there should be something similar.

Was your tank cycled before you put the axolotl in it?

Here is an article on tank cycling http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

This link is to caudatas sister site http://www.axolotl.org
it has lots of good care information.

S

suzanne

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info. I did cycle my tank, but I wasn't told it should be done for 30days (which i didn't know at the time) so I only cycled for a week. I know, not long enough. However PH levels are fine and axie's quite happy, I just haven't checked ammonia or nitrite,nitrate levels and I want to make sure that they are all okay so it won't do any harm to my axie.

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely check these out.
talker.gif

J

jordan

yes you definitely need to check your nitrite ammonia and nitrate because those are the things that matter most. They decide whether your tank is cycled or not.

S

suzanne

Hi everyone,

I got the test kits today...wasn't tooo happy with the results.

All tested quite low but still a bit above what they should be.

Remedies for all three of these in Aust??? Can anyone suggest any...

Am having a really hard time getting the right information here as there don't seem to be any real axie gurus to talk to.

I really appreciate all your assistance. I can definitely see why everyone comes here for advice.

Got a new big tank today...Will cycle for 30 days and make sure all is right before my little axie goes in this time

S

suzanne

OOhhhh,

Sorry for posting yet again...I've just realized I have forgot to ask what the levels of these things should actually be...Silly girl. I assumed they should all be zero but is this correct?
I tried to find it in the axolotl care section of caudata but couldn't find what the readings should be.

Sorry again...Just want to get it right.

J

jordan

ammonia and nitrite should be 0, and nitrate should be low.

M

matt

Hi - I'm also from Sydney. 3 days ago we bought our son a black axie for his 6th birthday.

Today is the first I've heard about cycling the tank. Damn!

I'm keeping a journal and have a to-do list for all the things we didn't know we needed, and will check in with our progress.

I should quickly say this is a great community and I'd like to thank you all for any help you might give us in the future.
happy.gif

J

jordan

yea you should've definitely researched before purchasing. Cycling your tank could take a while so it would have been better to wait until you were done with it rather than buying it and having no idea what to do. This site is a great place though and should give you all the info you need on axolotl care. By the way if you don't have a water testing kit you must get one here is an example: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=2255

J

joan

Cycling isn't absolutely necessary if you have one small axolotl in a large tank. You should just stay on top of water changes, and test your water frequently. The tank will eventually cycle on its own, but with an axolotl in the tank, and frequent water changes, it could take up to 3 months.

The remedy for any high reading is a water change! The easiest (and the safest!) way to lower any high reading is to do a 25% water change. Ammonia and nitrites should read 0ppm, and nitrates should be below 20ppm.

S

suzanne

Thanks everyone..!

I guess I'd better get cracking on some water changes.

Don't want little dude's gills to shrivel up
errr.gif

M

matt

Cool - got our testing kit, and our ph is almost right (7.2).

Ammonia is 0...maybe 0.25 after leaving the tube for a minute and checking again...

Nitrate is 5

Nitrite is 0

Looks like things are good...

Thanks for the help so far.

I accidentally registered a second time under my son's name, too...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1