Tank too warm.

iAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I know im not the only one here, but i have problems with my tank temperature.
At the moment it the temperature is 24,7 Celcius and im trying to cool it down, already using a bottle and a fan (Which is blowing tru the whole room) no lights on.
And Aquarium chillers are too expensive.
i was thinking about fridging but i never did that.
My tank is in my room which is upstairs on the 2nd floor

Last edited:
Hi, you could try to use computer fans and an adapter, we did this before we had our chiller. If you need a guide in dutch, here it is: Aquarium Zelfbouw en Techniek Water Koelen

Maybe you can ask an adult to help you with it? One fan will cool about 2 degrees so you might want to get about 3 or 4 of them and be sure to use the appropriate adapter(s) (watch the amount of amperes it can handle).

Both of my tanks are pretty warm too. Water was like 25 degrees over here. I placed my axies in a cool box (the fridge is a little 'overcrowded' with food so no place for axies).
The 6 babies I have left (I've sold a lot) are in the cool box as well.

I hope I can buy/make something too that can cool the water because they were swimming around a lot acting stressed.

In our mini heat wave, I woke up to my tank at 24 :( I had the outlet pipe of my external filter in a box of ice water, this cooled it down by about 4 degrees. I also have a couple of mini laptop coolers over the water.

The heat is finally over now and the temperature is degreasing :D

My tank only got to 22.5 degrees on that hot monday, which wasn't too bad, i think because my house has wall cavity insulation, it tends to keep the house cooler in the summer

If you have a digital thermometer, check the temperature on the floor of your room somewhere away from direct sunlight, you will find that it's a couple of degrees cooler because cold air sinks and hot air rises.

So i recommend preparing a holding tank on the floor the night before a hot day is forecast. if your in a flat block then it's not so easy as heat will be rising from below or from around you, in which case ice bottles or your fridge is the only way.

I had the same problem and I was adding ice cubes everyday but that got very annoying so I got a little desk fan about 9 or so inches in diameter and have it blowing directly on top of the water and surprisingly this cooled the tank from 73-75 down to 68-70. He seems to be a lot happier now. :-D
I don't know how I'll be able to afford a chiller so this will have to work for awhile.

Yeah using a fan will definitely reduce the temperature, just be careful to place it above the tank, make sure it can't fall into the water, maybe tie it to something

We have the same problem. Our tank is quite big, 180L and thus can not be moved and also putting iced water bottles in it has no effect whatsoever. And the temperature has already risen up to 26 C.
Also the other problem is that our fridge is quite small and has no control over the temperature so we dont really know what to do or how to keep the tank cool.
Help!

Grete, did you read the article on cooling? There are methods in there that work well with large tanks, especially using fans.

Bobert, that seems like a reasonable temperature reduction for a fan. Good luck!

Is it mains or battery powered? I can't tell from the picture. Sounds like just the thing I need to help keep my wee beasties cooler! :)

I recently bought a portable air conditioning unit and im so glad i did they are brilliant! Cools the whole room to whatever temp you want and they are a lot cheaper than a chiller if you shop around. I bought mine off ebay for seventy five pounds with postage and i saw many used ones cheaper still. My axie seems very happy with the constant cool temp and so am i! :D

I know im not the only one here, but i have problems with my tank temperature.
At the moment it the temperature is 24,7 Celcius and im trying to cool it down, already using a bottle and a fan (Which is blowing tru the whole room) no lights on.
And Aquarium chillers are too expensive.
i was thinking about fridging but i never did that.
My tank is in my room which is upstairs on the 2nd floor

If my tank ever gets too warm, I keep 3 bottles of frozen water in the freezer just incase. But these aren't normal sized water bottles (as these can create fast temperature changes that can be stressful for the axies), instead there are very very tiny bottles. To be more exact they are the mini liquor bottles that you get on airplanes or are handed out at bars, etc. as samples. I cycle them in the tank until the water reaches a desirable temperature. As soon as all the ice in one melts completely, I put it back in the freezer and take out a frozen one to put in the tank. Since they are smaller, they lower the temperature more gradually and are less likely to stress your axies!

Good luck :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back