Decorating Axolotl Tank with things I found

ClaireBear

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hi there just wondering if anyone can help.
Myself and my boyfriend decided to take a trip to Queensferry beach to collect some stones and rocks and things to decorate our axolotl tank with, we also found a bit of wood.
We've boiled all of the bits and bobs we want to use twice with a bit of vinegar but not put them in yet as we're not sure if they'll do any harm to our axolotls or water conditions?
Any advice with cleaning and stuff is appreciated! Thanks!

I can't remember what it's called but there's some magic chemical you can drop on the rocks, if they bubble it's not safe. Should be able to get it from general aquarium shops. Also if there are veins of metal in the rocks they're definitely not ok! Otherwise I guess it's probably ok. With the wood, if it's soft and you can stick your fingernails in it it'll rot, if not it's ok. Probably wait for someone who knows what they're doing to reply... And most importantly, if you decide it's ok- photos :D

The rocks can be tested with vinegar or lemon juice, if they bubble they are not tank safe, if they don't then it's all good :)
Agreed, photo's are must :happy:

I always thought that because axies are freshwater creatures, anything from the sea isnt really too good for them, my bf's axie got sick after a large seashell was put in his tank, but that might have been because it was not cleaned properly!

Seashells dissolve in fresh water, so they are not recommended. But I suspect it was the lack of cleaning, not the shell itself that caused problems.

Hard rocks should be OK after boiling. For the wood, it might be a good idea to soak it for a couple of weeks in several changes of water before using in the aquarium. This should allow the sea salts and anything else to soak out. After soaking and boiling it should be fine.

Sorry it took me so long to reply guys!
Yeah we read that soaking them in vinegar is good and if they bubble in that they're not safe, so we've done that a couple of times and none have bubbled yet!
We've still not put them in yet as we're not sure still, going to boil the wood longer I think.
I think the only thing we can do is maybe try a couple at a time and possibly test the water perimeters? If anything changes we'll remove them.
I will deffo post pictures!
Thanks everyone :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back