Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A lonely axolotl in an outdoor pond

Vesikoira

Reaction score
Best wishes from Finland! A month ago my husband came home with an axolotl. He had seen it in a pet shop and it was love at the first sight-he had to get it. We put it in our 317 litre-aquarium with three goldfishes in it. We were surprised that the first two weeks went so well, both the goldfishes and the axolotl are quite big (20 cm). But then the trouble started, first the axolotl swallowed a couple of stones and then the fishes started bullying it by snipping its gills. So we moved it into our outdoor pond. The pond has the same conditions as the indoor tank, the golfishes have also been there sometimes. But the temperature there now in May is only +13C at daytime and at night only +10C. The axolotl went into the cave we had made for him and now he doesn't want to come out. We have tried to feed him into the cave but he is not interested. One night I sneaked into the garden though and noticed that he was exploring th pond! Why is he not eating? Is it because of the cold? How long can he manage without food? Earlier he loved the garden worms we gave him. Another matter which I would like to hear your opinions about: Has anybody just one axolotl? How important is it to have company for him? I have read that it is not that simple to bring another one into the aquarium either. Thank you for your answers.

smily sam

Reaction score
Firstly, welcome to the forum:D, what substrate do you have in your pond? gravel is bad and can kill your axie if he swallows it, sand if you are going to have any substrate (you could have bare bottum) is good. is the pond protected from birds ect? If not you could use a net. Keep ofering him earth worms if you have to just leave them in the pond. it could be a bit cold and this is maybe why he isnt eating if this is the case then you may have to take him out of the pond andd feed him in a container with warmer water (but the temperture change may stress your axie) and feed him there. axies can go a few weeks or even a few months depending how big and how well they have last aten. No axolotls don't get loanly but if your pond is large and has filtration (not to strong because axies get stressed with to powerful filtration) you could get another axie. Goldfish shouldn't be in with axies so I don't advise you having the goldfish with the axie. Hope I've helped, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

blackdog

Reaction score
Did the axie pass the stones you said it swallowed first time? if not, then a frdiging might be in order to help him pass them.

You said the outdoor pond has the same set up as the indoor tank? So that means you have stones on the floor? If so remove them immediately and replace with a sand or leave bare.

The temperature of 10 celc will not be harmfull to him, in fact if he HAS swallowed stones it will probably be good for him. less than 5 celciuis is a problem, above 5 is fine. the lower temp may however contribute to a loss of appetite, colder temps will slow his metabolism.

If it is outside, he may also have found other natural food sources perhaps? Without watching 24 hours a day you wont know.

Staying in his cave is normal, especially if he can see the surface and the big bad world - lots of stuff out there that can eat an axie, i'd hide too. If you stand by his pond and look down on him, what do you look like? In a world of "If you are smaller than me i'll eat you" that the axie comes from, you might look like a predator, maybe thats why he hides if he knows you are there?

In a cold pond like that i wouldnt be surprised if a feeding once a week was enough.

It is not important at all for him to have a tankmate, they dont get lonely. If you do introduce another, just make sure they are the same size, as the smaller one will get picked on (if you are smaller i will eat you)

I personally think that if the axie is -

* In clean water (filtered or regularly cleaned)
* In water over 5 celc and less than 21 celc
* Safe from predators
* on sand or no substrate
* beng fed at about once a week (and watch his weight) at those temps

So frankly, i dont think you have much to worry about - only the fact he MIGHT still have a stone in him if it hasnt been passed

Bren

PS i disagreed with young Sam on only two points -

* A well fed axie could go without food for 2 weeks or so, longer than that would be an issue i think
* I would not put him in a container of warmer water for feeding, that would be a pain in the butt, but also very stressful on the axie

Vesikoira

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers! There is no sand or gravel in the pond and it has a good filter. We don't have any big birds either which could be a danger for the axolotl. We thought that the pond would be very safe for axolotls and indeed much like the Mexican lake they originally come from. I agree with "blackdog" that the stones can possibly be the problem or otherwise the cold water. I have no idea if he got rid of the stones or not. Yesterday evening (quite late again) we actually saw him come out from the cave and move normally a small round. If we get him to eat, everything will be fine. And when we get a bit warmer weather to Finland we can see if the axolotl gets more active as well. He has been in this passive mood for six days now. I'll let you know when something happens. Thanks again for your support!

siona

Reaction score
I hope he settles in ok! Remember that axolotls don't move around a lot like fish do. An axolotl that is constantly moving is probably not a healthy axolotl. So yours sounds just fine. He might be finding mosquito larvae or insects to eat so he might not nee so much feeding, but keep trying. If he's fully grown he'll need food offered 2/3 times a week.

I don't know anyone else who keeps axies in a pond! Any chance you could post a photo of it?? :D

digger

Reaction score
You should bare in mind that an outdoor pond will be full of lovely little critters that he will most likely be lapping up, he is living in his own restaraunt now lol.
also axies prefer the dark as they dont have eyelids which is most likely why you seem him quite content to mooch around at night and hide by day.

Vesikoira

Reaction score
The axolotl is enjoying his life outdoors!

I am happy to inform you that our axolotl is doing fine in the outdoor pond. It has been there now for four weeks. The first two weeks when the temperature was only +10C it was very passive and didn't eat but when the temperature rose to +15C it started to eat and move around at nights. In the daytime it stays in the cave. The sunshine is very bright so it is understandable that it prefers staying in the shelter. You have qiven me very wise comments on the living habits of axolotls. Thank you! So the problem was not so much of axo's but more a problem of the owners, we wanted it to be lively and social and entertain us! Now when we go to our garden at night (in Finland the nights are not dark), the axolotl is swimming around in its own pond and seems very happy. It has the big pond all to himself! I'm trying to attach here some pictures for Siona and you all.

Attachments

• axolotli 004.jpg
    axolotli 004.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 5,238
  • axolotli 003.jpg
    axolotli 003.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 7,191

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That is a lot of space for that axolotl, it must be in heaven!
I love the bit of your garden shown in the pictures, by the way, it makes me green with envy xD

There is a matter to consider and it´s the possibility of introducing patogens into wild populations. Are there any local amphibians that may use your pond?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It looks very pretty! I would be a bit concerned about predators, especially with a white axolotl on a dark background. Hopefully your little friend remains happy and healthy.

pent565

Reaction score
Wow, those pictures are gorgeous! I love that light on dark background. You might find you axie more active and visible if you plant some tall/overhanging foliage near the pond, to create a feeling of security. Might shield his defenseless white mushy body from predators, as well.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Freezing over isn't usually a big deal, especially in milder climates where it's not a hard freeze. Most salamanders can live happily under ice for short periods of time. The biggest issue with outdoor ponds are predation from birds and small mammals, and introduction of pathogens from/to wild amphibians visiting the ponds.

hacelepues

Reaction score
I would love to put my Axies in a pond, just worried about the winter and it freezing over.

Same. An axie pond would be so cool! But it's too hot here in the summer and too cold in the winter :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1