Help my axolotls floating

dazm2020

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone she keeps going to the surface and gulping air so it's makeing her float any adivce would be great????
Thanks darren

Have you taken water levels? (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH) They'd help get more of an idea.

It's normal for axolotls to gulp for air at the surface once in a while.. however, if it seems excessive, something may be up. Like Aviette said, have you checked the water parameters?

Also what type of substrate are you using, sand, gravel, rocks?

Is s/he eating and using the bathroom as normal? I've heard of axies floating and then using the bathroom/letting gas out and going back down to the bottom.

Sometimes they do like to gulp and hang there. I know mine likes to gulp after he eats and then just floats down after so he doesn't have to swim. Temperature can affect floating so if you're above 20 C I'd cool it down ASAP. Also, if you have gravel he could have an impaction. Lots of possibilities. Don't be too worried if he floats occasionally, mine does too (probably because there are plants on the top) but if it's one of the possibilities other people mentioned, then just fix them and you should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back