Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Planting in tanks

julez

Reaction score
hi all i was just wondering if anyone has seen lowtech natural planting where the roots of a house plant are submerged into a tank and then fish live in the water, the plant takes all the nutrients from the fishes waste and oxygenates the water keeping the water clean. does anyone know if this could be done in an axolotl tank?????
cant see it anywhere just thought id ask, seems like a good idea for keeping a tank cleaner!!!:D

julez

Reaction score
that is brilliant thankyou very much, and just so happens i was thinking about repotting my peace lilly this morning!!!
thankyou again!!!! :happy:

pookiewn

Reaction score
I have peace lily's in a breeding trap hanging from the top of the tank, very low tech indeed! :)

aeviette

Reaction score
:) I've been thinking about doing it, moving house soon though so I'm not allowed to start any new projects until then!

julez

Reaction score
the breeding trap sounds a good idea, ive now put the peace lilly in but its perched in a pot on some rocks so need something more permanent!!! have you got any more plants in your ir just the peace lilly???:rolleyes:

pookiewn

Reaction score
As long as the crown bit isn't underwater, they will thrive! Some of mine seemed to have stalled doing anything in pots, but in the water they flowered in three weeks :)
I did have a spiderplant in there, but I think it got pushed under and drowned :( Need to get another one or two :) Think I've read about some sort of ivy can be used in it, but would be rather worried about the axies with that, mine will chomp on anything that might move. Vampybabe has really tall lucky bamboo in her tanks, they are growing really well and look fantastic.

carsona246

Reaction score
mine have started pollinating. I have 4 flowers, and pollen everywhere

iChris

Reaction score
I haven't seen any flowers on my peace lilies yet, but it is winter here and I'm not sure when they do start to flower. I started with one large plant, and I split it in 2. they are both now sending out lots of new leaves from the crown too.

I just grow mine in the trickle filter that is built into my tank's hood, I simply just took the top lid off the box, and cut slits in the filter pads and poked the roots of the plants through the cuts and into the ceramic noodles below. I the covered the filter pads with those large river pebbles, and it just looks like 2 plants growing out a box of pebbles, you can't see any of the media below. it also adds more surface for beneficial bacteria to colonise. I also get the added plus that it looks good and my room is filled with the sound of trickling water!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1