Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia!!

B

blu

Any ideas on what to do about ammonia besides partial water changes? I have been doing water changes and it's still out of control. I've never have this problem before and it's so bad they aren't going in the water. Anything helpful would be great!!

J

jennifer

Blu, describe the tank and setup. Is there gravel? Filter? What else? Any other animals? What is your routine for feeding?

Continue to partial water changes, daily of necessary. But you also need to figure out where the ammonia is coming from.

B

blu

I have 3 tanks but the problem is in my eastern's and paddle tails. The eastern's have large gravel in a 10 gallon tank with a Duetto filter. There are 3 of them in this one. It has been set up since October of last year and just now is a problem. I feed everyone every other day a few crickets by hand and about once a week black worms. The paddletails tank is setup the same way with 2 of them in it. I have only had them about 3 months. Thanks for your help!!

S

steve

Sounds like your tank somehow traveled back in time, meaning something changed your bio filtration that breaks the amm. down to the nitrite->nitrates you normally see in a cycled tank.

Did you change gravel to NEW or clean the tank with HOT water? this would kill the bacteria that should have been present. Also sometimes adding NEW (mostly a lot) of "bodies" to the tank could throw it off.

Anyways, the blackworms are alive right? If so, the worms will travel into the gravel and HIDE; will live down there and could cause an amm. increase (if there's TONS of them in there.) Live worms should be fed on a plate (glass, plexi) to assist in the "gravel" problem, but not 100% successful.

My easterns, CFB's, etc.. love frozen (thawed of course) brine, and bloodworms, and will eat them without problem or "something living in the gravel later"

with 10 gallons, a filter and only 3 small newts shouldn't cause an amm. rise. I've had 30 easterns in a 20gL half full (10g water) with a small filter and never had a problem.

What to do? Daily-weekly (depends) 50-100% water changes, amm. REMOVING chips in your filter (fresh weekly), they also have amm. lock liquid for fish that might work for newts too, but never tried on sallies myself. This basically makes the amm. non-toxic BUT will still show up on your tests.

Check for those blackworms though.

hope I didn't blab too much.

Steve L

p.s. LFS's have all kinds of amm. reducing items. If it's really bad , do 100% water change, since its just newts and not fish.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1