Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What if my Axolotl wants to morph on her own?!

CaptainK1088

Reaction score
I’m just curious, I want to make it clear I am not trying to morph my axolotl what’s so ever.
I was simply reading some information in the forums on this site when I was concerned about my axolotls activness at night. From what I’ve gathered, it’s probably more than likely just her personality, she is certainly more active than her axolotl tank mate.
But somebody did mention the slight possibility that my axolotl might be trying to naturally morph on its own.
If this is the case..... would it harm my axolotl if I DO NOT provide it with any land to help the morphing process? Can my axolotl drown or somehow become harmed if it’s naturally trying to morph and I neglect to help her? Should I try to provide a land area for my axolotl and see how she reacts to it?...

Eternie

Reaction score
Generally they won't morph on their own. The only way it is possible is if iodine is introduced to them, or some weird genetic mutation.

If your axolotl is morphing you will notice the gills will start to shrink, though it is rare that they ever would morph naturally, its probably just personality. Don't add land unless you are absolutely sure of it. if you want some confirmation,postpictures of your axie and I am sure several people here will be happy to help, and determine whether it is morphing or not.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!