Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Termites (fresh caught daily) as newt metamorph food

R

r

For more years that I choose to divulge, I have been using termites as the primary dietary component for many newly metamorphed newt and freshly hatched plethodontid salamander species kept in terrestrial terraria. I have found these insects easily procurable and since they are ambulatory small sallys home in and eat them readily. I augment the termites with tiny sections of earthworms proffered on broom straws. Any thoughts from other caudatan breeders? thanx/rdb

M

mark

Sounds like a good food source.
I might have to try and get hold of some.

Thanks, Mark

E

erik

When I lived in North Carolina I used to feed termites to all my species. To me they are a near perfect food item for Plethodon and other terrestrial species. I'm not sure how Dick collects his termites, but I either use a termite trap(homemade) or use a paint brush to brush them off the bottom side of logs and into a bucket.

R

r

I collect them pretty much like you did Erik. Pine beetles killed tens of thousands of pines in my area a few years ago, and many of these are now in ideal condition to host termites that are easily brushed into a small dish. We also have some baled cardboard corrugate in the backyard that accrue a goodly number of termites and from these the insects are simply shaken. rdb

Lamb

Reaction score
Re: Termites (fresh caught daily) as newt metamorph food

I've been wanting to get ahold of some termites for my E. cirrigera juvenile, with no luck. I found this article, and if I didn't live in the dorms I would try it. It discusses setting up termite farms, and seems easy, although just having cardboard out in the yard is much simpler ;)

http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=55

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1