Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Transitioning to Sinking pellets

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Hi,
Up until now, i have been feeding my axolotls a staple of worms, fish - Rainbow fish (bred in own tank) and occasionally mealworms.
I have recently decided that sinking pellets would be better for my circumstances, with the occasionally feeding them an earth worm (once a week). But i am having trouble transitioning them to eating the sinking pellets.

- Two of my axies (22cm & 21cm) is eating the pellets from my hand hand, but don't eat them from the ground.
- The other two of my axies (13cm & 16cm) wont eat them at all, well occasionally they do.

The pellets are blue planet pellets, and they are approximately 1-2cm. I would really like to feed them with the pellets, as i don't have much time to feed them by hand, and i would rather not get my arm wet, as it drips all over the carpet.

I understand that people might have different opinions on feeding the pellets, but i have done a lot, and a lot of research. I will still be feeding them worms, but pellets about 60-80% of the time.

Could you please give me tips/ experiences with feeding them pellets, and how to transition them.

layna

Reaction score
Dont feed them anything else until they are hungry enough to eat the pellets. Simple haha.
Just offer them the pellets daily until they start taking them, then once they accept them happily, go back to your regular feeding routine.

I had a really fussy axie who wouldnt eat them, he used to suck them up, then realise what they were and spit them back out, after a week and a half he realised he wasnt going to get anything else and started eating the pellets.

Also you shouldnt feed them off the floor anyway unless you have a bare bottomed tank.
But what i do is drop a couple of pellets in the tank so i can soak them a little, then i use a turkey baster (axie owners best friend) to suck the pellet up, then i place it above the axies head and drop it.
This saves me getting my hands/arm wet and im not feeding them on the floor, they look up for food :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!