Brine Shrimp - the food that just keeps on giving?

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Spazzatron
We cannot deny the awesomeness of baby brine shrimp as we feed them to our newly hatched axolotls. I pondered this as I looked at my old set-up: still intact with the water in it (much to my mother's disgust lol). The last time I used it was last July. To my amazement, there were still brine shrimp in there this morning - alive and swimming! They just... survived. Has anybody else experienced this before?

Odd. Was it aerated? Where they adults?

Are you sure they were brine shrimp and not scuds (a type of freshwater shrimp)? Brine shrimp need salt water to survive, and don't live long in fresh water.

I set up a 5 gallon tank once with sand as a substrate and filled it with old aquarium water and added salt and a few brine shrimp eggs. A few months later I had 5 adult brine shrimp, but I had forgotten about it. The water had salt added to it though, brine shrimp usually die within a day or so in fresh water.

They could either be scuds like Kaysie said or copepods of some type that are often found in established tanks.

I dumped wastewater after hatching BBS into a bucket outside. Left in the sun, and every once in a while I added a bit of soup(such as leftover chicken noodle)greenwater etc. to it. I raised maybe 100 adult brine shrimp with almost no effort. My killifish loved them!

The hatchery wasn't aerated... it was the same salt water that they were born in. I had another look today, there's some more recently hatched brine shrimp in there :D I have seen the odd egg-laden adult brine shrimp in there though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back