Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just wondering....

kira

Reaction score
Um, I am wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to own these animals in Australia?? I assume that it's not but I would just like conformation...

Thanks

mitchell101

Reaction score
heyy kira,
i was just wondering the same thing, i came on this forum to ask and saw that you already had.
It seems like no-one is answering though.
I'll post one myself and see if someone replies.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ok so after lots of googling, everything I have found says "all exotic amphibians except for axolotls, also know as Mexican Walking Fish, are illegal to keep".

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
In Australia you can't have frogs either?

Yep I believe so. The only exceptions are native species which I think you can get permits for, or they may be called liscenses, I can't remember. Glad I live in the US because my tree frogs come a close second to my caudates.

mitchell101

Reaction score
Yep I believe so. The only exceptions are native species which I think you can get permits for, or they may be called liscenses, I can't remember. Glad I live in the US because my tree frogs come a close second to my caudates.
I believe that green tree frogs are native to australia.
I'm thinking about getting some frogs soon.:D

kira

Reaction score
Yuck! Cane toads are gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, we can have green tree frogs. Most native frogs you can own without a permit, unless the frog is a threatened spieces.

animal lova

Reaction score
its not the cane toads fault their here, its was a stupid group that brought them in to control the cane beetal which obviously failed. any 'normal' would be fined or imprisned for bringing illegal and invasive species into a country.

JP100

Reaction score
Is it the same in New Zealand?
It was. But we now have fire bellied newts and Axolotls(theyve been here for maybe 30+years) I amazed they have let in more species. In last few years they have bought in water dragons,bearded dragons,fire bellied newts and Blue tounge lizards.
NZ native frogs are cricticaly endanged(three species extinct with 4 remaining Leiopelma species - information and decription (Leiopelma archeyi, Leiopelma hochstetteri, Leiopelma pakeka, Leiopelma hamiltoni)) but we have a number of Ausie frogs here that are common(brown whistling tree frogs,southern bell frog and the green and golden bell frog).
It is a shame that our own frogs are so rare and most NZers think the ausie frogs we have are native but they have been introduced.
we have no snakes in NZ not even in the Zoos. Hope that helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!