What do i feed 2" axololts?

xblind2itallx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
B L I N D
Just wondering what to feed my little axies. There 2" and i dont know how old they are. any suggestions?:ufo:< thats cool

Bloodworm, axolotl pellets, earthworms.

At 2" my babies wouldn't eat pellets or copped up earthworms.

One of my babies Fred is around 3" now and all i can get down him is live or frozen bloodworms.

Thank you melfly but i know a fair amount about axolotls. Iv never had little ones before. Thats all.:happy:

I would only feed New Life Spectrum pellets. That is all mine have ever gotten and their growth and condition matched those of the breeder I got them from.

Thank you melfly but i know a fair amount about axolotls. Iv never had little ones before. Thats all.:happy:

I understand :D
Its just there are hundreds of posts exactly the same as this on here. And plenty of info on raising them on the axolotl.org page.
:D

Mel

Babies can be fussy eaters at 2" some are still on live food like daphnia and brime shrimp.

Some may of moved on to frozen bloodworms.

But none of mine this little would eat earthworms or pellets

I know there very tricky. Iv been feeding him/her bloodworm and he/she seems to enjoy them. At what age should i move him/her onto muh larger foods?

I have two 2" young axolotls, I feed them frozen bloodworm but I have to wiggle them around on the end of a pair of tweezers before they will eat them! Tried brine shrimp but they didn't seem interested

You can see inside of them how muc they are eating at this age, they just keep eating and eating until they are full to burst, I am getting good an doing live bloodworm impressions!

Our little guys love live blackworms! We started with chopped up pieces and as they got bigger we stopped chopping and fed whole ones until they got big enough to eat chopped wiggler or earthworms. I don't know about where you are located but they are easy to obtain here and are cheap ($1/teaspoon). They will last for about a month in the refrigerator as long as you rinse them daily.

My baby is just shy of 2 inches now and 52 days old if that helps you with its age at all. They all grow at different rates of course :rolleyes:

Mine will not take dead food yet (frozen blood worm) unless I dangle it so it looks like it's moving. It will track down it's food rather than wait for the food to come to it but not smelling it just yet so he/she get's the BBS as they are the most nutritious and I suppliment it with live black worm and adult brine shrimp and any tiny earth worms I happen to find in the worm farm while I'm getting it's parents dinner and the blood worm when I have the time to stand there and wave it around for him/her.

Hi there

I have 2 axolotls and im feeding them tropical sextet at the moment evey night i come in drop them in and they go mental for it i love watching them.

:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back