Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Anderson salamanders morph

A

achiinto

I have gotten 8 Anderson salamanders 6 months ago. 2 dies due to aggression and I was forced to separate them. 1 is sold away. 3 out of the remaining have then metamorphed. And now one more is show sign to morph.

Why is this happening? I have kept axolotl as well and under similar condition of cares and do not metamorphs. Is there a stronger tendency for Anderson to morph than axolotl? What can I do to prevent this? Is there other mole salamander species that look like Anderson salamander?

Thanks!

A

achiinto

This is my Anderson salamander. Sorry for a separate post as this is the limitation of the iPhone app.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,137

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It seems that when stressed andersons tend to get up and walk away. Axolotls seem to stay and suffer. This is a bit of an oversimplification and the tendency could use more scientific analysis.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Clearly you are keeping them in less than desirable conditions if 1/4 of your Andersonis died from aggression.

Perhaps providing better care would show more regular results.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the photo, I would say yes, it's Ambystoma andersoni. You may be seeing a delayed response. They were probably stressed during transport and the initial tank setup, plus whatever aggression issues you were having. This set them on the road to morphing, although maybe it didn't happen right away.

A

achiinto

Thanks for confirming. I am sure I can set up a better place for them. But the temperary setup stayed that way for too long. Although I managed to buy my first home so that they can have a bigger setup.

Also I was intended to only keep half and help someone deliver a few. However that guy delayed picking up for months with other species as well. Leaving me to care more animals than I have expected.

The stress from importation is possible as well since they travelled a long way across border. I regret getting animals from that importer as I have bad experience with the imported gold dust newts.

Anyway, anyone know if a morphed axolotl or Anderson may still breed? Or it is for me to experiment and report back?

Many thanks for the replies.

A

achiinto

Btw, other than the question regarding the possibility for them to breed, I also like to ask in a scientific approach, if a group of Anderson Morphs due to genetic?

Also to report my observation, the Anderson's gill deteriorated in around 3 days. Mainly from a beautiful branch of gills into short branch in a short time. The time it took seems much shorter than the other newts species I bred. Does it take such short time to change in other mole salamander species?

This observation also made me wonder if there are many terrestrial morphes of Anderson salamanders in the wild. Since natural environment will definitely have it stressful time.

A

achiinto

For your information, this is a photo of a metamorphosed Anderson salamander.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 977
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!