Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which Daphnia species?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am sorry if this has been covered some place else in the forum but my quick search did not produce the answer to my question, which is: What species of Daphnia is the most appropriate in size for larval Cynops sp as well as larval Mesotriton alpestris? I know that a healthy culture of any of the Daphnia would have a variety of sizes because of a mixed population of adults and juveniles, but I wanted you fellow forum members opinion before I purchase. Or would you all just focus on the ease of culturing versus the size of the Daphnia - I have read that D. pulex are hardier than magna. Several years ago I had a culture going for several months (I let the culture fizzle once my newt larva switched to larger food items) but I do not recall what kind they were. So thanks for your input,
Heather

RobM

Reaction score
D.pulex and D.magna are the most commonly available species of Daphnia.
D.pulex tends to be able to survive and breed in lower temperatures than D.magna that is probably why you have heard they are hardier. D.pulex would probably be your preferred species regardless of temperature though, as they are smaller in size, which would be preferable for freshly hatched Cynops.
The culturing methods for both pulex and magna are almost identical, so realistically they should be virtually equal in maintenance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1