Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daphnia am i doing this right?

katie11122

Reaction score
How much yeast or green water to you feed them? I don't have many most of them were dead when I brought them home but a few were still alive. I have them kept in a 45 cm tank at the moment with an air pump and a heater set to 20 degrees C. I mixed up about a teaspoon of sugar and active yeast with warm water and let it expand for an hour. I then put about 2 teaspoons in the tank. I added a slice of potato too?!?! I read somewhere you should lol. I've used water from my fish tank which my axies live in. I really want them to start multiplying but how do I know if I'm doing it right or I'm killing them???? I also have some plants with algae on them in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

taapua

Reaction score
Feed only enough to make the water slightly cloudy and don't feed again until the water is clear. Each culture is different, as the numbers grow you'll be feeding more. I don't add sugar to my yeast feeding solution. Daphnia tend not to do well when the water is too warm, and so I don't think that the heater is necessary. Hope this helps.

katie11122

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice!!! i was unsure of when next to feed but as you mentioned the water has just become clear again so it must be time to feed once again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!