Eggs are cloudy whats going on?

ktcwgrl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a bunch of eggs at that are about 14 days old and a bunch of them are starting to look cloudy. I had been following the different stages of development and now a lot of them are clouding up. I have them in a 10 gal. aquarium and they stay about 72 degrees F, I have a bubble wand in there and they are on some Java Moss. Any help on what I can do or what is going on would be appreciated as this is my first batch.

It's not uncommon for eggs to get a little cloudy when they get closer to hatching.

Have they started flipping around in the eggs?

They're probably getting ready to hatch pretty quick, given how warm they are.

Do you have your food sources set up yet? How many eggs are you hatching?

They are still neurulating ( looke at the embryo photo log on here) I think, You can not see the head or tail parts yet. I have food ready, but don think they are that close. About 30 eggs.

At 14 days? Have you always kept them at 72F?

yes they have always been at that temp, I check it daily.

Here are some pictures, I think a few have died

Attachments

• IMG_9662.jpg
    IMG_9662.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_9672.jpg
    IMG_9672.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,189
I don't think any of those eggs are fertile. At 14 days, fertile eggs would be nearing hatching.

if you go to my profile and look at my albums i have one called "axolot stages (from egg to current)" which show how mine are growning, and what they looked like while growing. you can take a look at mine to help you know what you are looking for.

if i remember with in a week and a half they started to look like hamster pop.
at about 2 weeks they had heads
at 3 weeks they hatched
and now they are growing fast

I also think they are infertile. At 70 degrees I would expect to see far more development :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back