Juvenile axolotl with black patches on feet

13kayrose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My juvenile axolotl is 10 weeks old and I’ve just noticed he has developed black patches on his back feet/legs. He is in a (very big) tub at the moment while his tank of finishing cycling, and I’ve been doing daily dechlorinated water changes and I’m feeding him live blackworm that I cut up small

I’m hoping this is just natural colouration as he does seem to have a few black freckles too so might be a dirty Lucy.

However, I have read about a disease called foot rot and I’m praying it’s nothing like that.

I’ll attach an image (I’ve just fed him so he looks a bit fat), also just hoping he looks in good health generally?

https://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55972&stc=1&d=1568477092

Attachments

• 4883FF88-8B30-47E5-8F48-87DB7703E6C5.jpeg
    4883FF88-8B30-47E5-8F48-87DB7703E6C5.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 337
Could it be dirt and particles built up from the bottom of the bare tank? For a while I had my young lucy in a bare bottom and got worried cus I saw something similar, but was relieved when it came off and I discovered it was just dirty and just sticking to the only thing it could.

How is it going? I don't think it's anything to worry about since it usually does happen as they age, unless you notice other signs of sickness.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back