Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl doesn't poo?

bibzybean

Reaction score
Bit of a weird question, but for the last few weeks, I've only seen my axolotl Bryce poo once, for it to mysteriously disappear the next day.

Bit of background; for the first few months that we had him, we gave him one block of frozen bloodworms per day, which he would eat, and he would poo regularly. We then increased this to 2 on occasion as he got bigger, and moved him to a new tank (the tank has been cycled, all of the nitrates, ammonia, nitrites, temperature etc. is good and at a normal level). We kept on with the bloodworms for a bit, everything normal, then we switched to regular worms.

He pooed regularly when he first started having the worms (one a day - is this the right amount? Am I over/under-feeding him?) but I noticed recently that I can't remember the last time I saw a poo in his tank, except from a few days ago when it disappeared soon after. Is he really constipated, or is he eating it maybe?? He looks fine and has been acting fine.

Any advice would be appreciated, about feeding or about what could be going on with him. Thank you!

ellenc

Reaction score
If your axololotl is growing well an behaving normally, one posdibility is that his poop is very loose and the filter removes it from circulation quickly. Well-formed (mucus encased) poop depends on food type and amount

Kingfisher

Reaction score
How old is Bryce? After he is over a year old and full grown, you don't have to feed him everyday. His body should be the same wide as his head, if his body is larger you can start cutting back on feeding frequency. I feed my 2 guys every 2 or 3 days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1