Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs!!

sammannell

Reaction score
Yay I finally have eggs! 9 of them! One was even laid above water?

Last year I only found 2 hatchlings and 2 infertile eggs so I am stoked.

I've put them into two separate containers with water and the oxygen weed they were on.

Does anybody have any tips for me? Water changes vs no water changes? Best temperature for the eggs to be? Anything?

I've religiously read through everything egg related on here but it never hurts to double check!

Also hoping to try and raise these ones to be more aquatic than my last 2.

Attachments

• 21432768_1036436939792370_1304800077405924008_n.jpg
    21432768_1036436939792370_1304800077405924008_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 525

newtlord

Reaction score
Hey there :) what species do you keep?
I think room temperature is just fine. I heard that newts raised in rather coldish room temperature are growing slower but more stable.
I think it is best to keep them with some plants just as you did so the pollutants are removed and they have enough oxygen. Also it is good to have a low height of water for the same reason. I also like to add one or two aquatic snails so waste plants etc get removed.
I dont think you need to change water alot when you have eggs, but it will change when you have larvae.
Cheers and good luck :)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are different ways to lay eggs, "dirty" water vs "clean" water. You can do a search of that here. Basically "dirty" water is like pond water, and clean water is keeping the water super clean and changing it often. I use the "dirty" water method myself.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are different ways to lay eggs, "dirty" water vs "clean" water. You can do a search of that here. Basically "dirty" water is like pond water, and clean water is keeping the water super clean and changing it often. I use the "dirty" water method myself.

Me too, especially for Cynops and the few Triturus eggs I've raised. A mature aquarium seems best for me, or alternatively, containers with frequent water changes using water from a mature tank rather than dechlorinated tap water. Also, as newtlord says, live plants and a Ramshorn snail for cleanup duties work well in such set ups.

sammannell

Reaction score
Sorry forgot to say they are Cynops Pyrrhogaster.

Where can I find info on the dirty water method? Nothing useful is coming up when I search.

When doing the clean water method how often should I change the water and what %?

Thanks I will put a snail in too.

Will Indian Almond Leaves benefit the hatchlings at all?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I mean by dirty water is instead of using dechlorinated tap water to do water changes in the egg/larvae containers, I use mature tank water from their parents tank instead. Dirty water method is perhaps a misleading name for it.
I don't know about Indian almond leaves, but I have raised pyrrho babies in tanks containing English Oak leaves and they were fine.
My outright favourite method for hatching pyrrho eggs is to leave them with their parentsand remove the larvae after they have begun to grow. This way once hatched, their parents will generally not see them as food and they'll find microfauna in the tank to get them through the tricky first few days. The problem with this method is the parents eating their eggs before they hatch, but if there are enough plants there always seems to be plenty that escape! Who knows, maybe that's why they always seem to lay a few above the water line as you've already noticed with your adults?

Mine also do! :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...lotriton/95638-c-pyrrho-laying-eggs-land.html

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I culled this information from previous threads:

Raising larvae in a more natural watery environment- when I get eggs, I put them in a tank with some leaves and by the time they hatch, there are hopefully some microfauna in there. I feed them minced blackworms and I don't clean the tank at all until they morph, unless they take a long time to morph, and then just a partial water change. Other people put them in water and change it every day , that is the total opposite.

Basically it's like using pond water, but you make your own. I put leaves in water and use a little water from another tank. Other people use clean water and change it a lot. That's what I mean.

I raise eggs of different species (not axolotls) and all I use anymore are 'dirty water' and blackworms. When the eggs appear, I start a tank bubbling with leaves and algae from nature, put the eggs in, and by the time the eggs hatch, there's something growing in there for them to eat. Then after a week or so, I start with minced blackworms and gradually use larger and larger pieces, until they are eating whole ones, and work up from there. There is a lot of info here on raising axies, there is a whole section on Eggs:

sammannell

Reaction score
Last night I pulled 5 more eggs and used the parents tank water.

I also noticed 5 or so eggs that I pulled the other day are looking a little bad? Fuzzy, possibly the first lot being infertile? I seperated them and kept them in a different container just in case.

I'm hoping for more eggs and I will leave some in the parents tank, 2 of my females are gravid.

Last year the 2 babies I found had hatched and were living in the tank, I separated them and one wasn't growing as well as the other so I ended up putting it back in the parents tank but it went missing, could the newts or white cloud mountain minnows have eaten it? I'm scared that will happen again.

I'll set up a tank for the hatchlings with leaf litter, oxygen weed and mature water and order some daphnia. I ordered an Elite Mini Underwater Filter for the tank do you think this would be a good or bad idea to use it?

I don't know what i' do without you guys, thanks so much.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would remove the Whitecloud minnows, They're fine with adult pyrrhos I guess, but they'll peck at the gills of newly hatched larvae if they see them moving, in fact my friend uses them to keep his population of T verrucosus in check, and their larvae are way tougher than Cynops.

sammannell

Reaction score
Okay thanks I'll move them to another aquarium tonight, I've seen the way they slurp up bloodworms so do not trust them around the larvae!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1