The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 10th July 2005   #1
declan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sometime in the future we will be emigrating to the USA from the UK and I don't want to leave my friend behind. Does anyone have any advise on how the axie will cope with a flight?
Is it a case of getting professional help?

Old 10th July 2005   #2
anne-marie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What is that - a 12 hour flight??

That's a tough question - you might need to check out quarantine restrictions as well.

Sorry, I can't help ya on this one Click the image to open in full size..

Old 10th July 2005   #3
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You will need CITES permits to bring them to the U.S.A. Axolotls are listed Cites II and their is some talk of changing their status to Cites I. It won't be easy to do but is not impossible. You probably won't find an airline that will permit you to hand carry them. They'll have to be properly packed and put in cargo hold or shipped seperately.

It might be easier to find your axolotls a home and purchase new ones in the U.S. If you have peiebalds or harlequin go to the trouble to get permits. You won't fine them here.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005   #4
brian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I don't know about the UK, but CITES permits for Axolotls are easy to get here in Canada. The wait is about 7 days. I'd look into what it would take to get one if you don't want to leave them behind.

That would be excellent if they moved them to Appendix 1. There is really no reason for them to be on Appendix 2 any more, seeing as 99% of their population lives and was born in captivity.

Old 22nd July 2005   #5
declan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for the advice folks, I thought it might be a problem, alex is a bog standard blackie but we still love her. Any way it could be a while yet.
Thanks,Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th August 2005   #6
lauren

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Brain, I think you are thinking of Article III. Article I is for for severely endangered species, like Rhinos and Manatees, and would make it harder to obtain a permit. Talk of moving Axolotls to CITES I is ridiculous, as it would make the different lab populations into basically different species.

Tags
abroad, transporting

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 16th November 2019, 01:52 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.