Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vets! Please help! we think axolotl swallowed gravel!

Gothica Lily

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

Typo in my post: Sorry I meant we now "know" that axies don't like flashing cameras. I tried to edit it, but it only allows me to edit before any other posts come in the thread for some reason? Wierd, but I thought I'd appologise to you all for the error.

Well, yes, it's like Zolotl said: nobody actually gives so much as a damn to let people know NOT to get any gravel for th animals,- hence NOBODY does the right thing. We were hoping they would quote us on recommending Caudata. The really pleasant reporter guy took the note, but he said he may not be allowed to publish it for policy reasons... We are a bit upset about that: the main idea of the article was for us to promote the site. But what do you do.

Just to reply to the comment of Gravel never going with Axies that is posted all over this website ( by BillYannone),personally we didn't see any rules of it having to be "bigger than their heads" anywhere here.. and also, don't they grow up to a ft long? Alot of our members seem not to be aware of that either: there are many pictures in the Gallery with axies housed with gravel. The issue has been put forward to the Moderators so they can take action.

It was one of the petshops that said the gravel size would be just fine. :mad:

P.S. The names given in the articles are our official names, we use nicknames online, but Angie is my preferred name (derives from my middle name). I hope it didn't confuse anyone.

cathy

Reaction score
In so many cases, it is not until you find this site that you relise that you shouldnt have gravel, and you may have only found the site as your axie is already unwell, since every pet shop that I have been in house's there axolotl's with gravel when you purchase one that is what you believe and are told is ok, for those that have found this site and checked out numerous post's, find that it is not, I think the best thing to do is to educate people to the reasons why gravel is not good and that is why I think this story really hits home to the dangers of gravel. Prehaps there could be a sticky made up with the heading why gravel is not suitable, and have info and pictures like the x-ray in there to really make people aware of the dangers,
Cathy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1