Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander night !

frogshooter

Reaction score
Hello forum-goers,
This will be a bit long, because I need to explain why I'm here.

I just found caudata.org, as I was Googling for more information on spotted salamanders … trying to find out if they actually FREEZE when they are under the forest floor in the winter. Do they? ( I have read that their companion migrators, wood frogs, DO freeze.)

Upon reading a comment from someone wishing they could see the migration, I immediately realized that I better tell you folks about my situation, which is quite extraordinarily convenient for salamander-watching.

I have a vernal pool in my back yard, and a road between the pond and the upland woods, and every spring I go out and photograph the salamanders crossing the road!

I have ended up with so many photos of pond critters (mostly frogs) over the 6 years I have lived here, I created a web site to start sharing them all. One of the site pages is "Salamander Night". (I have many more salamanders to post, so far only posted the ones from 2009) .The site is a photo journal of my pond… hopefully not violating the website-mentioning rules. (My photo-licensing line at the bottom is just part of a copyright notice to discourage photo-poachers.) You’ll see a link to “salamander night” under QUICK HOPS in the left column on the home page.

Salamander night 2010 is coming up in a few weeks… this will be the 4th one I have photographed.

I'll have to figure out how to post images here... I see an "images" link over there on the right.

Happy hunting... and I'll be back with pictures after Salamander Night 2010, in about three weeks.
Frogshooter

Nathan050793

Reaction score
trying to find out if they actually FREEZE when they are under the forest floor in the winter. Do they? ( I have read that their companion migrators, wood frogs, DO freeze.)

It is my impression that they do not, and instead simply burrow underneath enough soil and leaf litter to stay comfortable until the spring thaw....and "salamander night."

Looking forward to your pictures, and welcome to the forum! Maybe you could even post an account of it in the field herping section of the forum!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1