Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food alternative to worms?

Callam

Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasnt sure which food sub topic to post on so just went for Axolotl general. Please relocate if you need to.

I've had my Axolotl (Ponyo) for nearly a year now and his diet has been nearly entirely earthworms from the garden and frozen blood worms when I cant find any decent worms.

But next month ill be leaving for university and will be leaving Ponyo in the care of my mum, she'll be good with all the water changes but will have trouble feeding him worms as they make her feel sick :p

Are there any alternative foods that can replace the worms in his diet? my mum seems to have been told by someone that frozen prawns would do, but I'm not sure on the quality of nutrition from them. I've heard a little bit about axolotl pellets but haven't seen any for sale in the aquatics stores near me.

if it comes to it I would have to put him up for adoption, but that's more of a last resort.

Thank you for any replies.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I feed mine earthworms and then amphibian pellets when the worms go into hiding. I use their largest size . If your garden is pesticide free, then slugs and woodlice go down well too.
I would not feed frozen prawns or other sea food as they come generally in a protective salt glaze.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Axolotl pellets are just as nutritious as worms!
You can order some from Ed's Fly Meat. There's a website.
They are super cheap too. I bought two 1 lb. tins for like $20 something (shipping was expensive), but I haven't even gone through 1/4 of one tin and I've been using it for over a month.

Star

Reaction score
Ooh I didn't know slugs were safe, do they need the slime washed off them Julia or just pop them in the tank? We have loads of them in our garden yet no earthworms :(

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Slugs are one of the things that some would advise against as they may carry some nasties. I occasionally lob one in, and the axolotl eat them with gusto. My friend feeds hers a lot more slugs and her axolotl is fine. Removing the slime is nigh on impossible and to be honest I hate touching them for that reason.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Mine are thriving on axolotl pellets, worms, small crickets, and some squid ring as a treat. You can offer liver occasionally too. Oh, and they love river shrimps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1