Food for Aneides lugubris, the Arboreal salamander.

David Pinckney

Reaction score
Country
United States
photo.jpg

Hello everyone.

Last night I went out looking for one of these, and as you can see, I not only found one, but two!:D I'm going to go to the pet store today, to ask them what I can feed them, but I'd also like to ask the people on Caudata.org. I looked up the Wikipedia page on this species, and it listed it as "Least Concern" with regad to "Conservation status" (just FYI). Any other advice about keeping them would also be nice.

Thanks.

David Pinckney.

You should take a look at the Caudata Culture article on food items, if you haven't already. They look to me to be very different sizes, and as such will have somewhat different preferences. Personally I have tried termites, pinhead crickets, aphids, and small woodlice on my Aneides with equal success. Just some ideas...

Personally, I would not listen to the pet stores. They tend to lie. At least they did to me. And caused the death of 2 of my leopard geckos. Then they got angry when I wanted a refund. I'd say you should feed earth worms as long as they aren't too big. White worms work too but aren't filling unless you give a big amount. I don't have any experience with these but these are pretty much universal salamander and newt food. Maybe some pill bugs too. I personally wouldn't do termites like some people suggest. I always get nasty termites that climb on my amphibians and bite them.

In reference to my comment about termites, everyones experience will be somewhat unique, and mine has been nothing but positive. I should add that in some cases I prefer to use the soldier termites, because of their large size, and although they do posses the power to inflict some damage as you suggest, they most often do not survive long enough for this to be an issue. If you feel your animals safety could be jeopardized, or if the size of the prey is a limitation, then using the workers may be more advisable as their overall size and the size of their mandibles are considerably smaller. I any case, have fun experimenting with food!

Thanks for the pointers EasternNewtLove, and ODell.
photo-1.jpg

Although this are called Arboreal salamanders, I have only seen them on the sidewalk, on a rainy night, or, under something. But, I don't spend my time in the trees. In this case, they were under a rock. I found them living with other animals, which might be there food items. small slugs, woodlice, small millipedes, some kind of
Batrachoseps (which I've pictured above), spiders, earthworms, and though I didn't see them at the time, I'm sure they probably eat ants. I'll check out the food article, but in the mean time, would it be a bad idea to catch all of the small animals I can find, and just see what they like to eat?

I looked up the Wikipedia page on this species, and it listed it as "Least Concern" with regad to "Conservation status" (just FYI).
That's global status. You need to check their status in the state in which you a) caught them, and b) keep them. If they're protected in CA, you'd be breaking state law by catching them. If you left the state with them, you'd be violating both CA state law AND federal law [Lacey Act]. I don't recall their CA status, but a trip to the bookshelf tells me they were unprotected in 1997. A more recent reference doesn't say anything specific, so check the state's online laws, unless someone here already knows that information.

Declines have been documented, and there is some evidence that at least two species are involved [one being found in the Sierras].

There does not appear to be any prohibition on the collection of this Aneides species, or any other, in California. The California DFG list them among species which are allowed to be collected with the possession of a sport fishing license. In reference to the slenders, personally I would have a hard time sacrificing them as food items, although I recognize that they most certainly can be part of the diet of these salamanders in the wild. Anyone else have a contribution on the legal aspects? :sick:

You may want to contact your local University Extension and/or Fish and Wildlife service for more information on your critters. They may at least want information on what you've found for their records.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back