Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of Worms..?

Axir

Reaction score
Alrighty then, I feel like I need to know what kind of worm is the healthiest. Yes I know Axolotls like to eat earthworms but what kind? I went to Walmart yesterday and they had some worms called "Night crawlers" or "Big red worms" I've heard of night crawlers but I don't even know what they look like. since i'm guessing that earthworms are a bit big I don't think I should feed them to my axy yet, I don't know he's still a juvenile. what do you guys think? also his staple diet has been frozen brine shrimp he seems to like it. what do you guys think I should feed him? and what kind of worm?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
How big is your axolotl? Brine shrimp are good for newly hatched axolotls before they get about 1.5-2in then can eat bloodworms or blackworms. But really chopped earthworms as soon as possible is best. All earthworms have the same nutrition just some types like nightcrawlers are larger and need to be chopped up for young axolotls. Adults can eat a worm that's just as long as itself with no problem. Earthworms are one of the best staple diets and the early it's started the better growth you'll see. Night crawlers are fine but other smaller species like eisenia fetida (red wigglers) are okay too. The red wigglers can be a little tricky because not every axolotl will readily eat them if they've eaten another food source. Just be persistent

sde

Reaction score
Doing a quick site search will give you lots of threads on which worms are best. But yes, earthworms or night crawlers are great, but like Boomsloth said, sometimes Eisenia fetida ( red wrigglers ) are not always accepted. Last week I tried feeding my Cynops ensicauda popei ( gold dust newt ) chopped Eisenia species and they completely refused them. But feeding whole worms are less commonly rebuked.

since i'm guessing that earthworms are a bit big I don't think I should feed them to my axy yet, I don't know he's still a juvenile.

Cut them up into smaller pieces. -Seth

stevenwignet

Reaction score

Dendrobaena worms are the best to feed them with, tiger worms and lob worms excrete a foul tasting substance which axolotls hate so will not eat them and irritates them. I do not know if red worms do the same but they refuse to eat them too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!