Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating baby axie?

dudzie

Reaction score
My axolotl has been floating with his belly up for a week or two.. What should i do?

He is eating normaly (blood worms, once or twice a day). I've read that if they keep eating the air/gas will come out eventually.. but i think it is taking too long :confused:

I've also read that having them in the refrigerator for a day or two should help, but is he too small? he is 4 cm (1,6 inches)..
Heelp :(

Video: https://youtu.be/Vy62e5iaGSw

Attachments

• 12782247_10154014565377990_1750734323_n.jpg
    12782247_10154014565377990_1750734323_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 397
  • 12788200_10154014565302990_493462453_n.jpg
    12788200_10154014565302990_493462453_n.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 423

LoriML

Reaction score
Nothing definitive here, I've never had one that size do that, only little tinies. I'd put him by himself, make sure his water is perfect, and feed him as much as he'll eat. It's not usually a good thing for them to float, but if he's hung on 2 weeks like this, maybe he'll come out of it. I'm not sure fridging him would do anything, but maybe a senior member will confirm something for you.
Good luck.

Reaction score
I also have not had one that large be upside down at the surface. If your little guy does not seem distressed, I would keep feeding and see if the problem solves itself. If it does not, there may be an underlying health issue unfortunately.

ETA: I now see you posted this a couple of weeks ago. Is your axolotl still upside down?

nada here

Reaction score
I would definitaly seperate him. Put him in a little dish with enough water to cover him but not enough to make him float or allow himself to flip over.

dudzie

Reaction score
I also have not had one that large be upside down at the surface. If your little guy does not seem distressed, I would keep feeding and see if the problem solves itself. If it does not, there may be an underlying health issue unfortunately.

ETA: I now see you posted this a couple of weeks ago. Is your axolotl still upside down?

I would definitaly seperate him. Put him in a little dish with enough water to cover him but not enough to make him float or allow himself to flip over.

Still floating, i'm afraid :(
I have had it separated, with just enough water to cover it. I have even turned it over (carefully, of course), but few seconds later it's upside down again. After two weeks alone with no change, I put it back in the tank with the others.
It still eats normally, and tries to swim down to the bottom occasionally, but floats up like a bobble right away.
Any ideas? :(

Donna001

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with this situation, but I have attached a link from a sticky at the beginning of the sick axolotl area, which is a site to help you find a vet in your area that should be able to help.

Herp Veterinarians

There should also be some vet information in this link as well.

Caudata Culture - Frequently Asked Questions

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope that your little one gets better soon.
Keep us posted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!