Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fluid Retention in Axolotl Larvae

Cryowuff

Reaction score
I've been having problems with this and it is causing me a wealth of stress and sadness. I don't have the space nor time to raise a full clutch of eggs, so I kept 15 out of my last clutch to raise. So far I have lost 6. 3 were runts, and 3 developed incurable fluid bloat and needed to be euthanized. As of tonight, a 4th has began to retain fluid and I am extremely worried. It doesn't seem to be contagious as the affection is random. My water quality is just fine, with daily changes and cleaning, and everyone else is very healthy at the moment.

Is there anything that could cause this to happen at such high rates? I'm guessing right now that it's genetic, as all but one baby who has developed edema showed developmental delay of some sort prior to the bloating. But I'm so scared of losing the babies I have left.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!