Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Help for my two new Axolotls

KarmaWillow

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Recently I got two new juvenile axolotls, and have had them for about two weeks. They seem to be mostly ok but are not eating well. Sometimes they will eat carnivore pellets but only when it is dropped right in front of their faces and even then they will sometimes just ignore it. One of them really likes frozen bloodworms but I have heard that those are not the best staple food for axolotls. I have tried cutting up and feeding them both nightcrawlers and red wigglers but they seem to either not be interested or will just spit them out. I have heard that some worms will emit a foul smell when stressed and so I have tried quickly blanching them and then putting them in a cold bin of water for 30 minutes but it still gets spit out. The tank temp is usually around 63 degrees fahrenheit and my axolotls are both around 5 ½ inches. Does anyone have any tips on feeding them so that they don't spit out their food?

ellenc

Reaction score
If you feed them beef liver, they will worship you. Cut into thin strips and freeze. Defrost as needed. Many also like slices of freeze-dried tubifex worm cubes. Offer both of these with long feeding forceps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!