Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank cycled and then everyone was sad

Grey

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank with two teenage axies. I was doing in-tank cycling (not my first choice, but circumstances demanded), and it finally cycled, but I've been seeing a variety of warning symptoms since. I could use some extra eyes on what I've seen and what I'm doing to see if I'm missing anything. Here's what's been going on:

Two weeks ago: The tank is in the process of cycling. While I'm traveling, my pet sitter is checking ammonia and doing daily water changes. Leucitic starts going off food for a couple days at a time.

Last week: I return from travel and notice that the leucitic has tiny pink spots all over his body, slightly raised like tiny pimples. I also notice some gunk on the wild's gills that seems like it might be fungus, but it brushes off easily. I also notice two protrusions on the wild's tail. They look like small spikes of skin sticking out. I test parameters and find that the tank has cycled! Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates easily managed with water changes. I figure there was a Nitrite spike that the sitter didn't notice and that's what caused the issues. Appetites seem to improve.

This week: Appetites are intermittent. They'll eat one day and then not eat the next few. Leucitic in particular is not eating much at all. I test pH and find it super low (less than or equal to 6). I do water changes to bring it up, but the water coming out of the tap is only 6.6, so I can pH has stead around 6.4-6.6.

Yesterday: Added crushed lava rock to the filter in an attempt to bring up the pH.

Today: PH still 6.4-6.6. Leucitic still has pink spots, though they may be fainter? The maybe-fungus has not returned on the wild, but the tail spikes are still there. Through this whole affair I've seen curled tail tips and sometimes forward-curling gills.

Have I taken the right steps? Am I missing something? Further suggestions?

Grey

Reaction score
Photos of the pink spots and tail spikes

Attachments

• 20190103_234014.jpg
    20190103_234014.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190106_220025.jpg
    20190106_220025.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 108

Grey

Reaction score
Tank temp is about 65.

I've stayed on top of the ph and started cautiously treating with baking soda. Trying not to change changing the ph more than .2ppm per day. Their appetites are improving, and the leucitic has ventured out from his corner. His specks definitely seem fainter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!