Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl x-rays

Krispy

Reaction score
Has anyone had x-rays done of their axolotl? The vet recently insisted on an x-ray for one of mine. He then said that because the skeleton appeared so faintly in the image, that my lotl has a calcium deficiency.

But axolots have cartilaginous skeletons. correct? Wouldn't their x-ray appear weaker than bones? I unfortunately do not have a copy or picture of the x-ray but I want to see others!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Hey I haven't had mine axolotl x ray but I found this example here of what one looks like! https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96367

that thread is a MESS!! im pretty sure the guys vet didnt know what an axolotl was, telling him 7.6 was a high enough pH to cause a morph... i wonder if it really did morph or not based on the last comments (actually i peeked at what they posted after that thread.... its not pretty, all their poor axys were poisoned by this dudes frantic use of pH down anytime it reached 7.5+ :( )

cool pics tho, and yea they have cartilaginous bones so if your vet normally only sees reptiles they will look REALLY thin and calcium deprived (google "axolotl xray" in one tab and "reptile xray" in the other and you can see for yourself, the reptile skeleton will look like its GLOWING compared to the squishy axy)
if you want to look them up the research labs take a TON of various medical imaging with these guys, if you read the studies on regeneration they tend to have example photos too :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1