Hello!

KtL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, everyone!
I recently found a very young Slimy Salamander, 5 days ago, while bug hunting with my 4 year old nephew. He named it Jelly and we absolutely love it! Jelly is eating well and seems very happy in its new home. I have a lot of questions, as the staff at PetSmart (a chain pet store) is not very knowledgeable about this particular species of salamander. I am so grateful to have this rich resource to help us keep Jelly happy and healthy. Thank you all!
Sincerely,
KtL
E7890543-F5A5-4A2A-8F16-4D0F67AFEB73.png

Welcome to the forum!
The hobby is quite different here in Finland - we don't collect amphibians from the wild as they're all protected by the law (we only have five national species and a couple of foreign species entering here). So it's by trading. Good luck with your little one, hope (s)he settles in soon!
Auli

Here is a care sheet.

Here we would actually encourage someone who wanted a wild caught salamander to catch your own, instead of getting one from someone who may have collected hundreds, decimating a population, to sell.

Good luck with Jelly!

Is it legal to sell all your native species or are some endangered? We have so small amounts that they are protected, I guess the most common species in hobby are firebellies, ribbed newts and axolotls. "True" hobbyists (unlike me who only has fbn ;) ) have also other species in their collection :)
Our native newts, by the way, are lissotriton vulgaris (common in Southern Finland) and triturus cristatus ( very endangered)..I've never seen latter one in nature.

Some species are protected and some you can and some you can't sell. Although plenty of people will sell illegally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back