Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dirty Pet Stores Again

N

natasha

Well I went off to buy my crickets today and went for a peek at the axies while I was there. The poor little guys there was four of them one little wild type in particular who was very obviously male, he was soooooo skinny and one side of his gills was covered in something I dunno if I would call it fungus, it was green stuff and looked all hard like build up or something. He was so tiny yet had the black tipped toes. And the flow in the tank was so strong the gills on all of them were flapping back and forth. Then there was a care sheet saying feed them beef heart and liver and occassional earthworms. What the?? I wanted to take them all home.

G

grant

Yea thats to bad. When I picked up my new wild type a few days ago there was this juvenile golden albino and it was so skinny its skin was all loose on it and its gills were soooo small and it just looked so unhealthy. And to make it worse the lady getting my axie out of the tank said that she doesn't play with them as much anymore because one of them she used to play withs gills fell off....I couldn't believe she was that dumb that she would take them out and "play" with them. I'm just glad I got my axie out while he was only there for a couple hours lol.

J

joan

I'm so glad the pet shop near me isn't horrible. I'd probably cry. The only complaint I have is that they keep little tetras and such in the tank with their lone albino axolotl (I'd buy it, but they want $50 for it!), but I've not seen them nipping at him. He's quite pudgy, and his gills are always very beautiful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1