Possible sick/injured ADF?

recrdchaos

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Okay, let me explain before you judge me - I don't know much about these little guys. Me and my boyfriend ended up with a 3 gallon tank (a nice one that even had a filter), so we went to get a little fish to put in it. I usually research pets before I get them (in fact 6 or so months of research went into my cornsnake). We needed to see the availability of fish at our local petsmart, but fortunately the people there are usually knowledgable enough that I was confident we'd at least come home with something suitable for the tank.

Well, the cute little ADFs were marked at minimum 1 gallon. The shopkeeper said he could eat freeze dried bloodworms (which we already had) and wouldn't even necessarily need a filter (though the tank has quite a good one, and I wouldn't feel comfortable putting something in it if it didn't). They were also on sale. We bought one, as I am under the impression they're not very social.

So obviously I'm doing research now! However, he has a strange... sore? On his abdomen where one of his back legs attaches. It looks like a blister. The worker admitted that they had a few problems with fungal infections in the tank, which honestly made me respect her a lot more, and made sure to tell me about their 2 week return policy. Upon noticing this sore I wondered if it might be a fungal infection like she said. If so, is there anything I can do for him? It may also be some kind of wound from fighting, as there were quite a few frogs all trying to share one hide.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back