Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Viv set up, with comments and (atypical) questions

Brynjar

Reaction score
Hi guys i wanna combine my hi im new thread and my questions thread. Ive been stalking you guys for quite some time now so i kinda feel like i know you all from the corners - hence no need for a HI thread :)

Moving on;

I recently purchaced 4 fire sals (ss.t) from a breeder here in Denmark, they were sold as 2 pairs. Unfortunantly one of the males drowned the first night due to me being an idiot, never even concidering the fact that salamanders could drown! Lesson learned - the hardest way unfortunantly.

But now i am in doubt. Should i seperate the remaining female from the other two? There is no agression, she just keeps a distance from the other two at all times wich have led me to belive in some sort of monognomy going on? The "surviving" pair, has a huge female comin in at 28 grams and the male is 21, the single female is only 17 grams. Your thoughts?

Here is my set up, you can clearly see the big female dominating the center whilst the male is a bit more sneaky. But to the left (on the unclear pic) sits the widow all alone :( Should i just give it time?

Attachments

• ss.terraris bur 028.jpg
    ss.terraris bur 028.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 554
  • ss.terraris bur 029.jpg
    ss.terraris bur 029.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 378
  • ss.terraris bur 033.jpg
    ss.terraris bur 033.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 412

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
All new animals take some time to settle in to a new habitat, especially salamanders which can be pretty sensitive to change. The tank you have seems a decent size. 15-20 gal. tanks are large enough for two adult fire salamanders. If you notice aggression at all definitely move the salamander more prone to bullying but if you only see shyness, as long as an ample hiding space is provided you should be fine.

Side note, the water in your tank looks a little murky. This is due to the dirt you have in your tank, which is fine and natural as well. I would suggest some sort of filter or water agitator to reduce stagnation and bacteria films from building up.

Reactions: sde

Brynjar

Reaction score
All new animals take some time to settle in to a new habitat, especially salamanders which can be pretty sensitive to change. The tank you have seems a decent size. 15-20 gal. tanks are large enough for two adult fire salamanders. If you notice aggression at all definitely move the salamander more prone to bullying but if you only see shyness, as long as an ample hiding space is provided you should be fine.

Side note, the water in your tank looks a little murky. This is due to the dirt you have in your tank, which is fine and natural as well. I would suggest some sort of filter or water agitator to reduce stagnation and bacteria films from building up.

hey thank you so much, these guys are actually doing great now, although this is a large tank (48 gallon) since i didnt wanna risk terretorial battle, these 3 are mostly hiding in the middle very close to each other.

I have a filter for the water in the back witch makes it run a steady stream, i migth be facing a problem with too much water in the substrate, but humidity seems to be steady in 60-70% Is this constant too high? I have a fan for them running in the daytime

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
I'm not too sure on the humidity levels, sorry. I doubt humid air could be harmful unless its promoting bacterial growth, but it should be fine. Salamanders like moist environments and I would only use a fan for cooling and possibly aeration. I don't know what you made your entire vivarium out of, but in general, if you use a gravel base, water can't travel up it. Dirt tends to get muddy and absorb lots of water, but if you set up the land section on gravel then the water will pass right through underneath and not bother the land portion. Then you can mist or water the upper section if it seems to be getting dry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1