Anchor worm in axolotl

pinksmog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last week I purchased two juvenile axolotls at a show. One has been active and healthy, the other has been decreasing in appetite and activity, becoming very stressed easily. Yesterday a pimple showed up, and today a thread came out. After posting on a FB form, we figured out he had an anchor worm. I have started salt baths, and saw an immediate improvement. My issue is, I know the worm has to come out at some point, but am unsure when to pull it out. It did just pop out today so very small and I can't see it, especially after the salt bath. He also has another smaller bump on his other side that has not "popped" yet. I don't want to use any stronger medications if there's another on the way and potentially over medicate him. This is my first axolotl and I don't know what their threshold is. All the things I could find on anchor worms were regarding fish, which have scales, so I think they'd be a little hardier than slime coated amphibians.

Any advice would be great. Doing all the water changes and quarantine stuff, just not sure how to remove the sucker, and properly medicate knowing there's another waiting.

If it really is anchor worm I would contact the vendor and ask for a full refund. I don't believe you will get rid of the worms without worming the animal.

Who did you buy it from?

Sorry, still new, what do you mean by worming him? If you mean pulling them out, I'm not sure how, he wiggles too much and the worm is so tiny it's practically impossible to see.

Eh, as far as the breeder goes, that's already a stressful situation. There was a dispute about the actual morph and after asking for a partial refund, it got pretty ugly. Do not want to start that conversation again.

Thanks for responding, I've been very stressed out!

By worming I mean treating with medicine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back