Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

LIght fake rock - floating island - non stick foam ??

S

sharon

Color me loopy! That is a fantastic link for the DIY floating island! I've often thought of the various stuff available in HomeDepot that I could use for my animals. I figured the expanding foam would be AWESOME for lots of projects but I didn't know who to ask whether or not I could use it in a terrarium or aquarium setup!

I found a link a while back for DIY fake rock...
LINK: http://www.geocities.com/tnstuttle/cage_info.htm

Does anyone have something easier than that?

I was thinking that if the expanding foam is malleable, why not use tree bark, real rocks, etc to make the "surface" of whatever fake item you care to simulate. BUT how do you keep it from sticking to the item you are using to make an impression?

I'm already thinking of ways to give the foam weight so I can use it in various underwater applications with out adding considerably to the overall weight of the display tank.

I think my hubby has some cans of the foam outside, I should go experiment. I've got mineral oil, cooking oils, sand (although I'd like to find something that would wipe off)....

Thanks guys,
Sharon

K

kaysie

What's the toxicity of this stuff? Are chemicals going to leech out of it into the water or environment?

S

sharon

I'm sorry I should have referenced the previous link & message...

I got a link from another message on this board for the floating islands..
Link: http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/Amphibiary/islands.html

As I understand it both and all the products are NOT toxic once they have have dried fully.

My question is: If I want to make impressions in the expanding foam, has anyone else used something, an oil or lubricant, that prevented the item used to make the impression, from sticking to the foam?

I'm thinking of trying mineral oil.

Sharon

C

clarence

what about saranwrap or wax coating the thing you are using to make the impressions? that should be nonstick and much easier to clean up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1