Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie gills SHRINKING!!!!!!

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
I got 2 axie and one of em has a shrinking gills and i swear i fed them healthy and provided them the right housing and also i think the bottom part of its gills got bitten by another axie as an accident but noticing that he has a shorter gills what's wrong?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The first thing you should do when you come across something like this, is to check the water parameters. This may be a sign of poor water quality. With out the tests, we will have little idea of what is causing this.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
I seem to recall a post similar to this from you some time ago. If the gills are shrinking even more than they were in the previous thread, you really need to begin listening.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...otl/87297-my-axolotl-morphing.html#post353346

Perhaps you should take the advice previously offered. Get a test kit, keep your water clean.
i cant get a test kit or find them and my parents dont allow me to ship or what , and i found a test kit but it was hella expensive

Kerry M

Reaction score
It is worth every cent. Perhaps if you cannot work out a way to buy it you should find a new home for your axie. Otherwise he/she is likely to live a very sad and painful life. Sorry to be so blunt but it is the most important thing you need to do if you care for axolotls. It is a requirement, as important as food.

esn

Reaction score
i cant get a test kit or find them and my parents dont allow me to ship or what , and i found a test kit but it was hella expensive

So you can't find one, or it's too expensive? Any full test kit is going to cost around $40 on average. It's a lot easier than constantly worrying about what could be going wrong. As Julia said, the first thing to check is always water quality. Since you're having continuous issues, you definitely need a test kit. That, or you need to make the conscious decision to change the water more often. A test kit is also cheaper than vet bills or replacing an axolotl (and pets should not be replaceable).

snuggly time

Reaction score
It is worth every cent. Perhaps if you cannot work out a way to buy it you should find a new home for your axie. Otherwise he/she is likely to live a very sad and painful life. Sorry to be so blunt but it is the most important thing you need to do if you care for axolotls. It is a requirement, as important as food.

This is good advise, your axolotl deserves the best life it can get.

Kerry M

Reaction score
Perhaps you could get your parents to read your threads. It is hard to learn about the water at first and they may be able to help you. They might not understand why you need the test kits. I am sure that if my fourteen year old asked me to help him understand what to do I would give him a hand. I'd probably buy the kits and help him learn to test the water. Good luck getting your parents on board.

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
Perhaps you could get your parents to read your threads. It is hard to learn about the water at first and they may be able to help you. They might not understand why you need the test kits. I am sure that if my fourteen year old asked me to help him understand what to do I would give him a hand. I'd probably buy the kits and help him learn to test the water. Good luck getting your parents on board.

she told me where can u find these test kit , i think it's not even available at our country i only saw a kit only for ammonia but no more stocks , she isnt like that she only tells me its just a problem and blah blah T_T , telling me URMM i cannot continue , she doesnt love amphibians she even refused to bring my pacman frog to a vet due to prolapsed and he died a few days later ..... And now i dont think she would even buy me one and she only cares for her dogs T_T, they cant understand me!!!

jeromeetabuzo

Reaction score
So you can't find one, or it's too expensive? Any full test kit is going to cost around $40 on average. It's a lot easier than constantly worrying about what could be going wrong. As Julia said, the first thing to check is always water quality. Since you're having continuous issues, you definitely need a test kit. That, or you need to make the conscious decision to change the water more often. A test kit is also cheaper than vet bills or replacing an axolotl (and pets should not be replaceable).

Cant find one , i only saw for ammonia but i contacted them , they told me "Sorry sir, but no more test kits for sale" T_T

Kerry M

Reaction score
You need to check for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrite. There are four tests. They are in the master test kit and are cheaper if you buy them in one pack.
That test only does one out of the four that you will need. Good researching though :)

Kerry M

Reaction score
The API Master Test Kit is also on that site, it will cost you 900PHP. So that should be around $22.50. That looks like a good price to me as they are $40 in our pet shops in Australia.

Kerry M

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361628955.656098.jpg

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
So, jerome, I have spent the past hour or so looking through all the threads you have made in the past 4monthes or so, and I really do not mean to be rude, or mean in any way possible but I really wish you would just buy a water testing kit.

In a post you mentioned "bringing your axolotl to the vet, and being put on antibiotics" I couldnt even imagine how expensive that would be! I brought a rat to the vet and had to be put on antibiotics and it cost me 67$!
So what you are telling me is that your mother will bring you to the "vet" to get antibiotics for a axolotl that doesn't even look like it needs it, instead of getting a simple testing kit, that people have mentioned you should get, even offered to give you the money to buy one, that could possibly fix the problem and help keep the water maintained so it doesnt happen again?
I don't understand why you keep posting, when you NEVER take anyones advice. People post on this forum to get help, and franctly all the help I've gotten thus far has been absolutely wonderful! and I note everything that everybody tells me, and make appropriate changes as I see fit.

I really don't want to be blunt but I think it may need to be said, bluntly to you to make you understand(and you can give me bad rep if you want for "being mean to you" frankly I don't care, it needs to be said) You not giving your axolotls basic care, which would be food, living space, hides, and Good water parameters may in fact kill your pet. and not giving the basic necessities of life is considered abuse/neglect. These people are just trying to help you out to give your axolotl a life it deserves and needs to survive! please listen to them, or find a new home for your axie. Show your mother these threads, the people pleading to you to get a test kit, show her the importance of specific water parameters for the tank.

Sorry for being blunt, but its driving me crazy

FX1C

Reaction score
So, jerome, I have spent the past hour or so looking through all the threads you have made in the past 4monthes or so, and I really do not mean to be rude, or mean in any way possible but I really wish you would just buy a water testing kit.

In a post you mentioned "bringing your axolotl to the vet, and being put on antibiotics" I couldnt even imagine how expensive that would be! I brought a rat to the vet and had to be put on antibiotics and it cost me 67$!
So what you are telling me is that your mother will bring you to the "vet" to get antibiotics for a axolotl that doesn't even look like it needs it, instead of getting a simple testing kit, that people have mentioned you should get, even offered to give you the money to buy one, that could possibly fix the problem and help keep the water maintained so it doesnt happen again?
I don't understand why you keep posting, when you NEVER take anyones advice. People post on this forum to get help, and franctly all the help I've gotten thus far has been absolutely wonderful! and I note everything that everybody tells me, and make appropriate changes as I see fit.

I really don't want to be blunt but I think it may need to be said, bluntly to you to make you understand(and you can give me bad rep if you want for "being mean to you" frankly I don't care, it needs to be said) You not giving your axolotls basic care, which would be food, living space, hides, and Good water parameters may in fact kill your pet. and not giving the basic necessities of life is considered abuse/neglect. These people are just trying to help you out to give your axolotl a life it deserves and needs to survive! please listen to them, or find a new home for your axie. Show your mother these threads, the people pleading to you to get a test kit, show her the importance of specific water parameters for the tank.

Sorry for being blunt, but its driving me crazy

We offered to send a test kit...
not the money for one o_O that would be pretty dumb in my book.

I am prepared to order you (& pay for) the test kit including shipping! If you PM me an address to have it sent to - you'll have it by the end of the week. But you must read the book & follow instructions.

I'm very tired of reading how you treat your axolotl :mad: & have spoken to you on chat - which annoyed me even more! You frustrate me beyond words & you are the reason I will never sell or give an axolotl to a child who's parents are not supportive or understanding of basic needs.

Explain to your mother that it's like keeping dogs on crushed glass as bedding & feeding the dog bird seed! Every animal has basic needs & your poor axolotl is barely cared for & it makes me sad! :(

Personally I wish you would take it back to the pet store or find a home where someone will actually give it GOOD care.

I don't care about rep on here either! Especially if the person giving me bad rep is perpetrating acts of cruelty on an animal! Their votes don't count! I'd be proud to wear a red bad rep if it means I'm speaking out for the voiceless ones being tortured.

Jerromeeta it's time you grew up & stopped acting like such a baby!
You have to look after your axolotls better & your mother needs to wake up & make sure everything is provided for ALL pets in the house otherwise she is also perpetuating the cruelty. If she buys the pet for you then she HAS to buy anything you need for it!

<3 >o_o< <3

snuggly time

Reaction score
I think until you get a test kit you need to be changing at least 25% of your axolotls water each day to ensure it's getting a fresh clean supply of water.

Kerry M

Reaction score
Jerome wants a test kit and is happy to receive one buy post. His mother has finally agreed to let one be posted to his place so that is great. Does anyone have a supplier that delivers to the Philippines? Jerome will get me an address today so it would be good to get it to him ASAP. We then just need to support Jerome to change his water until it arrives.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1