Black and light

H

henk

it's been discussed before in quite some threats, but I have both these very black verrucosus and these pale ones. With the latter I have lots of trouble (in fact just lost one) whereas the blakc ones are almost bullet proof. Just can't seem to find the right balance for the orange ones..

76739.jpg

76740.jpg

My colony throws both the dark ones and the lighter ones. At least in my colony the lighter juveniles are more fragile than the darker ones. With mine it is almost as if they are a genetic color mutation of the same line that is some how more fragile.

I've observed that the brighter specimens of the siblings I have kept have been weaker than their darker brothers and sisters.

Yes, I have the same experience; the light animals do seem weaker.

Henk, my light variant animals lived 3/4 of the year terrestrial. I think that's the key to keep and breed this species. If you increase humidity, they'll head for the water.

I've had brighter specimens than the one above come from parents of the so called dark form. I'm not quite sure that the colour is the way to distinct "the forms".

Jesper, you're right, it is in a way the same form. The dark and light ones are one form, only with different colors. I tend to agree with Michael, the light ones just seem like a color variant.

This form is however very different from the small, aquatic T. verrucosus with the triangular headshape.

In all, there don't seem to be many forms of T. verrucosus, I known of three for certain...

Is there any data whatsoever on the morphological differences within T.verrucosus?
I know this was discussed quite a lot here a couple of years ago. I remember that people defined the dark form as highly aquatic and with a distinct triangular head shape. Doesn't brightness around the edges tend to trick the eye into believing that an object is more elongated than a totally dark object. I have a feeling that the brighter specimens tend to use an old trick to look slimmer
biggrin.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Henk Wallays on Sunday 21 January 2007 - 18:40 (#POST118440):</font>

Just can't seem to find the right balance for the orange ones.. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> I had the same problem. People say how easy T. verrucosus are, but I had difficulty with a group of the light form. I had no problem with the larvae, but I lost the subadults/adults one by one.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Jennifer Macke on Friday 26 January 2007 - 05:47 (#POST118968):</font>

I had no problem with the larvae, but I lost the subadults/adults one by one.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
same happened to me
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back