Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fast answer please - fungal infection

BrooklynD

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to treat my axolotl for a fungal infection on his/her gills and (s)he is 5 inches about and when I first put em in the salt bath (s)he literally looks like he's trying to eat the salt water? Like just keeps openeing its mouth and trying to swallow something but there's nothing there. Is this normal? Left me in there for about 14 minutes with 1 liter of water and 2 1/2 roughly of aquarium salt.

emdalliance

Reaction score
What exactly were your measurements? I don't really understand. How much salt with how much water did you mix? Did you make sure to dechlorinate the water too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrooklynD

Reaction score
What exactly were your measurements? I don't really understand. How much salt with how much water did you mix? Did you make sure to dechlorinate the water too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did about 2 1/2 teaspoons of aquarium salt in 1 liter of water and let sit for about 14 minutes. I'm starting with about max because I was on vacation when the fungus formed so there's just I good sized white ball at the end on one of the gills.. but I put that in dechlorinated water (I used prime) and then let it despolve and put him in there as said for about 14 minutes. Tried to remove some of the fungus with a Q-tip but he didn't like that so much so I stopped. But my problem is when I put him in there he kept opening and closing his mouth like he was trying to swallow something. It seemed like he was trying to swallow the salt water? If he did swallow the salt water would that harm him?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1