Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

RFP axolotl

AxolotlNewb

Reaction score
Someone was talking about a rfp axolotl... Ive never heard of this but im guessing its "Red Flourescent Protien"

Are they real or is this person dreaming? Lol

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, technically red fluorescent protein does exist. But it is not found in the pet axie population that I have seen. Yet....

All of the fluorescent proteins were originally used for tracking cell development and migration patterns, the most common being green. GFP axies are common in the USA and Canada, but illegal in the rest of the world (mostly) as the come under the rules about genetically modified organisms - you need a research license to own or create them and they are not allowed as pets.

AquaPharm

Reaction score
The RFP is a mis used term for NFP (Nitro Fluorescing Proteins) Which are a family of genes from plankton that were introduce into axolotl and zebra fish populations starting in 2008. They can range from blue/purple to pink/red. This is similar to GFP and can be present with GFP. They have more of a bioluminescent property to them and offer researchers more contrast under a flouroscope.

One showing NFP only is often referred to as a Purple or Lavender.

Attached is a couple Juvenile NFP/GFP from our colony.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45446&stc=1&d=1454336100[/IMG][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_8701.jpg
    IMG_8701.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 6,907

AquaPharm

Reaction score
We sell primarily for Animal Research, but do also sell some to pet trade. When orders are filled for labs that are using them for studies we do sell the NFP/GFP to pet trade, but the wait list is long (about 40 or so people now). We do also sell ones that are carrying the genes but not showing NFP/GFP for pet trade breeders. We have been doing this for 2 years now so they should be coming into regular availability soon.

AquaPharm

Reaction score
So are these recessive genes (unlike GFP)?

Some corrections...
These animals are a genetically modified breed called NFP/GFP which was created in 2002 at the Weizman Institute in Israel to aid in the study regenerative and immune gene therapies. Building upon GFP (Green Fluorescing Protein) the Blue NFP gene (Nitro Fluorescing Protein) from plankton were successful introduced. This recessive genetic combination is only visible in about 20% of offspring and the combination of both NFP and GFP is visible in about 10%. Now in our 3rd generation (NGFP-AF03) of breeding adults this numbers are improving greatly and we hope to see this continue through selective breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1