Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cold water livebearers?

axynewbie

Reaction score
Is their such a thing? Been searching fruitlessly on Google for days and I've been getting 'platies and molly's are good in cold water' 'oh no they're not keep temps at least 24' etc, just loads of conflicting info!*

Currently have 11 (!?) Zebra danios in with my axy (used them to cycle tank before the axy went it) I started with 20 in my 305l monster tank, they're doing fine, axy is doing he eats earthworms daily - he eats 2-3 in the evening but I drop them in front of his face because I don't like hunting worms in a planted tank &#128514*it's lovely watching him hunt the fish but he's eating them pretty quickly, thinking if I put some live bearers in they'll be more likely to re-stock themselves?*

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for a good non nippy cold water fish or an I looking for something that doesn't exist?*

Thanks in advance!

Purpletotodile

Reaction score
I don't recommend that you have any fish with your axies. If you want a vibrant animal to put with an axolotl the best way to go is shrimp, but be warned because axolotls eat shrimp. I would recommend getting some red cherries/bloody mary shrimp and breeding them. The risks of having a fish in an axolotl tank are a bit high because fish can nibble gills, be eaten by your lotl, or even make them sick.
In my honest opinion axolotls should be in a species only tank, but shrimp are fine as a food source. That's just my two cents

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!