Axolotl gender?

neoncat11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got an Axolotl about 3 months ago, and have tried to determine the gender... But it seems like I get different answers depending on which angle I look at it. Here's its cloaca. Help?

Attachments

• 20170509_004308.jpg
    20170509_004308.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 328
your axie looks pretty young in this shot. How big is it? May be too early to tell

It's about 4 inches long. Darn... Alright, well, thanks for the help ��

At 4 inches it's pretty hard to tell. Once sexually mature, the toetips change colour and that is usually the age you can be sure of it's gender. Since it's a lucy, it's toes will turn darker. You can tell by the size of the cloaca, if it's very small it's a female and if it's larger it's a male.
On a side note, when my axies were maturing my dad saw the size of Peri's cloaca and freaked out because he thought it was prolapse but he calmed down after I told him it just meant she was in fact a male.

Judging by your axie's cloaca size it looks like a male, but I'm not completely certain.

You cannot really tell how old your Axie is until at least 1 year old, at that point, a male will develop a bulge behind each back leg. That's one of the easiest ways to tell.

Once an axolotl is sexually mature, the females usually begin to look fatter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back